Our 6th trip to SXM with our two boys ages 14 and 11.

Flew AA – flight 667 from JFK to SXM. Left home at 4:15. Arrived at JFK at 5:15 for 8:00 flight. No check in problems. I was worried about weight of luggage. Each bag was 36lbs and the food/snacks duffle was 20 lbs. We also brought 2 beach chairs, 2 noodles and a boogie board taped together in a clear garbage bag. The kids brought their game boys, and game cube in their carry-on luggage. Went through security. Only Joe and I had to take off our shoes and no bags were hand searched. (This was before the security scare.) Flight left on time and we landed at 12:00. All checked luggage arrived quickly.

Car Rental - Rented from Panoramic because of TTOL recommendations. Mohammed was waiting for us and within 10 minutes our car was packed and we were on our way.
When we left for home his worker was at the airport to collect the keys. A great car, with a great rate and wonderful service. Mohammed is a winner. Would recommend him to everyone.

Accommodations - We own 2 week at Royal Palm. Upon check-in we requested an upper floor and a new, refurbished unit. Our request was honored. We were the 1st ones to occupy this unit. They did an excellent job in refurbishing the units. Construction was going on but did not bother us too much. Safe wasn’t attached to the wall so great. I inquired about it and was assured it was fine. Security people were always around. Throughout the entire stay did not feel threatened but always kept our wits about us.

Beaches - We went out to Orient or Baie Rouge almost every day. Stayed for a few hours as the kids also like the pool. Weather was beautiful every day. The kids and Dad snorkeled at Baie Rouge. They swam around the rocks and went exploring on the little beach on the other side. They thought that was really cool.

Food – We ate at the marina in Marigot at Maison de la Pate & Le Saint Germain. Food was wonderful as usual. Ate pizza, mussels (the best at St. Germain) pastas, duck breast w/ apple, port wine sauce, and chicken w/ calvados cream. Carpaccico is my husbands and sons favorite appetizer. It’s wonderful at Maison de la Pate. Also enjoyed rack of lamb w/ these fabulous vegetables at St. Germain. St. Germain was offering 1 euro = 1 dollar for cash from 5:00 – 8:00. They also had excellent crepes for dinner or dessert.
We ate at Pineapple Pete’s their Lobster thermidor was just as good a everyone says it is. Shrimp w/coconut sauce, scampi, seafood linguini, steak and fish and chips were also excellent. We also got the 10% off coupon for dinner at Pineapple Pete’s from La Sucerie bakery.
Lido’s BBQ – Ate ribs and chicken from there about 5 times. . Side dishes were excellent especially the scalloped potatoes. A ton of food and the best deal on the island, $5 for a whole rack of ribs (10 – 13 ribs) and $8 with 4 sides. The kids always had leftovers for breakfast and happy hour.

La Sucerie Bakery – Bought bread and chocolate croissants and pastry from there every day. Bread is awesome. Made sandwiches on this every day and also had some for happy hour.

Food Shopping - Bought pate, cheeses and cold cuts from US Export and Match. Went to Le Grand Marche. Bought liquor, water, ting and the kids’ favorite Madeleines.

Ice Cream Lady in Marigot – Found her only once by the cemetery. The coconut ice cream was to die for. I wish I had some now. TTOL people say Etna Ice Cream is excellent also. Can we buy this in the States (NJ)?

People We Met – We met many people from NJ at Royal Palm. We also met up with people we met there a few years age. Also met a family with kids our kids ages and they became very close. We did the beach and some dinners together. All 4 kids got together after dinner to swim, watch a movie or played video games.

AA Trip Home - Flew AA from SXM to San Juan and onto Newark. Had to pack all liquids in luggage. (Worried about weight again) Checked our luggage in at 9:00. No line. Had our liquor in a carry on box but the security man at AA said it would be better in checked luggage. He then took it and repacked it for us. Told us not to worry if we were overweight. Check bags through to Newark. Went back to RP for breakfast and to check out. We had all of our electronic stuff in our carry-ons. Kids also had snacks. Went to airport at noon and turned in keys to car. Went through security. I had an almost empty tube of after sun moisturizer and a small sample size of face cream and nose spray. They threw out my Clinique after sun but let me keep the face cream and nose spray. Shoes off but no other bags were hand searched. After we got settled I saw a women with a bottle of Nivea lotion rubbing it all over herself. Boarded plane with no additional checks and onto San Juan.

San Juan – No problems at immigration then on to security checkpoint. A few flights and only three lines. Confusion. Shoes off again. All carry-ons x-rayed. NO comment on all the video game stuff and wires. This took forever. No places to eat at airport. The 2 they had were out of almost all menu items. We found a Dominos pizza. Finally our boarding call and we landed 20 minutes early. All luggage arrived and with liquor bottles intact. If you bought perfume or liquor in San Juan duty free it was delivered to you at the gate when boarding.

Cell Phone – Rented from Sharon at Royal Palm. Got phone from Doris. Took about 15 minutes and it was great to have. We made our reservation real late but were accommodated. I recommend her and you can’t beat the price.

It was a great trip and counting the days until next time.