As last days on the beach go, it was one for the books: an azure sky, bright sunlight, just the right amount of breeze to produce a gentle surf, and a string of those quintessentially Caribbean towering cumulus clouds, sitting above the horizon like a convoy of clippers under full sail. The only problem with it was that it had to come to an end and our feet seemed to drag even more heavily than usual as we made our way back to our car, parked under the shade of a tree, looking back and waving a fond farewell to our favourite beach in our favourite place.

Our day started off as normal. Monday mornings, Good Morning is closed so our croissants came from Le Macaron. Breakfast was eaten and we were on the beach just after 9. The Russian Gangster and his girlfriend were still there as were the family whose kids were slowly but surely digging their way to Australia. We deposited ourselves at a suitable spot and proceeded to not move for 3 hours. Apart from the usual occasional bobbing, of course.

Timing is everything in life. I think most people know that. Our timing for lunch was as bad as it could get. We'd just ordered when a group of families descended on the bar. The kids were consigned to a table while the parents threw their parenting skills out the window and launched into an attempt on the world record for getting hammered as quickly and as loudly as possible. The French folk there were pretty much rolling their eyes and quiet conversation was impossible. At first, it was almost funny but when the one guy announced that today's mission was to get drunk, it just became sad and ultimately embarrassing. I understand that everyone deserves their vacation and shouldn't have to worry about someone like me passing judgement on their behaviour but at the same time, why should we have to cut short our leisurely lunch when our peace gets assaulted? That's a circle that can't really be squared.

Of course, by the time we got back to our own berths, all of that was forgotten and we saw the remaining hours of our last day sweep by, minute by accelerated minute. After our post-beach shower, we took ourselves into Grand Case to meet up with Cleeta and Larry at Calmos to watch the sunset and eat some good food. I bought myself a Calmos Café t-shirt on the way out, so I can proclaim c'est la vie to the world when I get home. Now the Goddess and I are sitting out by the bar, enjoying the warm breeze before yet another night time swim and the eventual return to the land of nod.

[Linked Image]