Every year is different. This year seemed to center around music. There were impromptu jams almost every night and someone playing every day.
We arrived on Tortola on Friday afternoon and spent the evening at Jolly Roger. I can’t say enough good things about Kay. She is one of the most generous and caring people I have ever met. We caught the 9:00 ferry to Jost on Saturday morning.
The first person we ran into was Renee who we always referred to as Robby’s island girlfriend. Jeez, we miss one year and when we come back we find out Robby’s got a daughter! What a riot and Renee played it to the hilt. Every time she and Melody showed up she’s say “Say hi to daddy”. Oh the looks we got…too funny! Her husband is in the states going to medical school, by the way. Our entire stay was spent at Ivan’s. We stayed in a cabin the first two nights and then moved up to the villa. We spent Saturday catching up with old friends at Ivan’s. Robby overdid the painkillers and went to, or should I say staggered to, the cabin early. That was the night when I met Officer Andrew Davis (It’s always a good thing to know the local law)! We sat and talked at great length, as my dad was a cop also.
My goal this trip was to get to know my island hosts and we spent a good deal of time with the belongers. We spent most of our time on White Bay because they were blacktopping the road between Great Harbor and White Bay. I absolutely love the steps and path that’s been built between Ivan’s and Soggy Dollar. It’s a beautiful walk that even an old fart like me can make.
Monday we walked over to Soggy Dollar and visited with Mic, then on to Gertrudes where Natalie made us a great lunch of lime garlic shrimp and finally ending up at One Love to be entertained by Rio and Seddy.
Tuesday we hung out at Ivan’s and visited with the day sailors and the folks staying on White Bay. Ivan and KeI jammed that evening. They were joined by Don “Spoonman” from Alabama. I was in heaven.
Wednesday we spent in Great Harbor shopping and meeting new friends. Hilda at A & B Snack Bar is a real sweety and Melvin from Foxy’s remembered us from 2 years ago. Robby bought a pair of sandals at the dive shop, at a reasonable price I might add and Adrianna was fun to talk to. We ended up at Ali Baba’ so Robby could get his hamburger fix.
We spent Thursday just limin at Ivan’s. There must have been 70 people at the BBQ that night. Ivan, Reuben and Don “Spoonman played. I think KeI was in the mix also. A perfect evening in paradise.
Friday we made a flying trip to STT to meet Kate whom I hadn’t seen in 15 years. Uncle Wendall took us to Red Hook and waited while we went to fetch her at the airport. We left Jost at noon and were back on the island by 3:30. Now that’s the way to go!
We spent Saturday at Ivan’s just limin again. I know, I know, we’re boring people J.
We rented a car on Sunday and Joe (better known as sail4evr, here on TTOL) offered to chauffeur us all day, as he wasn’t drinking. We didn’t want break the law, since we were now good friends with Officer Davis. He took us all around the island so my friend Kate could soak it all in. She had never been anywhere before, let alone paradise. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the word WOW so many times in my entire life. It was really fun seeing the island through her eyes. Thank you so much Joe.
On Monday we took Joe to the ferry and just hung out as we were leaving the next day.
Ivan, Charlene, Renee, Romel and Stella are the greatest. We love them all dearly. We felt like family and enjoyed helping them out whenever we could.
It was a perfect 10 days of snorkeling, swimming, walking the beaches and partying with old and new friends.
Robby retires Jan. 1st, so as a retirement gift to him, we’ve already booked Ivan’s studio apartment for Jan. 7th thru the 31st. No DIF for us!

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a80/DeelyJVD/