Saturday was a lazy beach day.

After drinks at the perch during happy hour we took a dip and then returned to our room for a snack and to pack for the move on Sunday. Dinner was at Papagayo where it was Prime Rib night and Karaoke night. We enjoyed a nice visit with Elmer and Sheila but the turnout was low, almost nobody sang except for the emcees and the “prime rib” was a bone in Rib Steak which was large but not very tender and not a well prepared prime rib roast as I had hoped. But it was the same a last year, so I was not surprised.

Sunday morning we emptied out the remains of the refrigerator for breakfast and loaded the car for our move to Pelican. We drove the long way around the island to check out Grand Case, Marigot and Cupecoy. We continued to find the island very dry. There has only been one very brief shower in the week that we have been here so far until this morning. There was a brief but intense rain this morning as a wrote but the sun is shining again now. We were really disappointed at the amount of construction that has taken place at Cupecoy, though we could not see the beach from the car and were too sore and lazy to get out and walk down to see how it looked. We had heard that there is deep sand but there were not nearly as many cars as last year. Apart from the construction, our increasing arthritis, the steep rise in the beach, the soft sand and the climb down to the beach have probably removed Cupecoy and Rouge from our beach lists and relegated us to the gentle slopes of Orient. Those beaches are beautiful but the soft sand and difficult walking conditions are just too much for our bodies.

We stopped at Ric’s Place for lunch for a Chicken Salad and a Wet Burrito (A burrito smothered in Chili.)

Our check in at Pelican was quick and easy. We had used their web base pre-check in and that made it very smooth. We did a quick grocery run and crashed in the room.

Sunday was a very limited activity day as we are both trying to recover from or minimize the impact of colds and sore throats. We did a quick run to the bakery, the drug store and the Gourmet Marche and then returned to the room to eat lunch in and crash. We did decide to try Toppers for dinner.

Benches around the walls and real wooden chairs have replaced the plastic chairs that were there in the Banana’s days. Drinks were served in Mason jars. Gretchen had the crab stuffed mushroom appetizer and I had the Kalamari Kamikaze. I asked the waitress about the “Kamikaze” part, presuming really spicy. She assured it was mostly for strong garlic…WRONG! The Calamari was also cooked with and served with jalapino chilis. The Calamari was not deep fried and was really quite tasty if you separated out the jalapino chilis. Gretchen had the Stuffed Mahi Mahi and I had the New York Strip steak. Both were very well prepared. We shared a Key Lime Pie for dessert which was also quite good. With frozen drinks, our total came to $76. This is a place we will return. They also had free Wifi so I checked email on my handheld.

Pelican has free wifi but only at the pool area, so we have to schlep the laptop down there to check the Internet and to get mail. We’re spoiled and it’s not nearly as convenient as the in room internet at Club O.

It's raining on my feet again now as I sit by the pool at Pelican. Fortunately the computer is under an umbrella.