Trip Report
June 23-30

Well it didn’t start off very well as our flight from Boston was cancelled on June 23rd with no warning. (USAir). We usually fly AA from Boston to San Juan then on Am. Eagle to Beef Island and that is our preferred route, but for this unexpected 2nd trip, we had to make quick flight plans and therefore we had to book with USAir from Boston to Philly to St. Thomas. We will stick to our preferred route whenever possible, because between the cancelled flight and the airport lines at Customs, Security and the A/C system being broken at St. Thomas Airport, it wasn’t a very good route. I will say though, that because of this mess up with the airlines, all was not lost because we ended up with many freebees. For starters, a free hotel room at the Hilton at the airport in Boston with food vouchers. Then 2 legs of our flights were First Class and we were given vouchers for 2 free roundtrips to St. Thomas to be used within a year which will allow us to take a 2nd trip next year to Sandcastle in June. Also, Sandcastle was able to accommodate us for an extra 2 nights, so we actually got to stay on JVD for 6 nights instead of 5. So in this particular case, I’ll say we made out pretty good.

Anyhow, back to the trip…finally arrived in St. Thomas on June 24th at around 4 pm. The Le Petite Pump Room at the ferry dock, that I had heard so much about, was closed, so we headed over to a place behind the McDonalds that we were told was a good local bar. It was. Wish I could remember the name of it because we each had 2 Bushwackers that were excellent and we were all of a sudden feeling no pain and into “vacation mode”.

Took the ferry to West End Tortola and Roger (RogerG) was waiting for us in the new Soggy Dollar Boat. [Linked Image] Had a great ride over to Little Harbor, JVD. Boy that boat is fast! Ahh…JVD. We had arrived. Thanks Roger! I know you had to wait longer for us because of all the changed flight times and we sure appreciate it. You are the best! Headed over to Sandcastle where we were staying and we were greeted by Sandy, Dollar and Trixie. [Linked Image] It was so good to see them all. Next, Clayvorne took us over to our cottage and there was a sign on our cottage door that said welcome back Meg & Brian. (You can see the sign in our pictures). [Linked Image] It was so good to see Clayvorne again. She is the best. [Linked Image] We then put down our suitcases and headed over to the Soggy Dollar Bar where we were greeted by Shaneek, Sana, Lorna and others and Sandy had a table for us for dinner right near the bar, as we got there later and all of the guests had already sat down for dinner. I did notice one guest though, way in the back waving at me and I immediately recognized her as Karen (Kern from this board) and her husband Glenn (GlennR). It’s funny, but I have never met either one of these 2 people, but from this traveltalk board, and when I saw them, I felt like I had known them all my life. Karen came right over and gave me a big hug and said hello. They are the best! [Linked Image] We will see them again next year, same time, same place. We didn’t have too much time to spend with them as they were leaving a short while after we had got there, but not before they had left us a couple of “Island Dogs” (as Mic [Linked Image]would call them and I would later find out that Walker calls them something else) on the Soggy Dollar Bar Board. Thanks! They were great. Walker, they told me you called them something else. What was that???

Well, a couple of days later, here come 2 other T’tolers that we knew were going to be there but had not met yet and voila….it felt like we had known them also…none other than Tricia and Tommy (TrishaH)! [/URL]]http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/5024/2026258780085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/IMG][/url] They were a lot of fun and that Tommy is a riot! For someone that doesn’t drink, he sure couldn’t walk straight most of the time (lol)! We shared a great dinner at Sandcastle one night as it was being filmed. (more on that later)

Got to see Tina [Linked Image]on Monday and it was great seeing and visiting with her again. Tina, I know you are out there reading this. We miss you and can’t wait to come back and see you again in January! Brian sends his regards also.

TriciaH – in her report, forgot to mention our night at Foxy’s when we met Paulfox, [Linked Image]another T’toler and the manager there. We had a Red Sox hat for him and you’ll see him in our pictures with it on. Paul, it was great meeting you and we will definitely look you up again when we come back in January and we will bring our “January friends”. Had a lot of laughs with Tricia and Tommy at Foxy’s as you can see in some of our pictures! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Basically for most of the week, we eat, drank, swam and sunbathed! Did a whole lot of nothing and that is just how we like it! Year after year, we never get tired of doing the same old thing, cuz after all it’s the people and the beauty of the Island that makes the place so special. We don’t have to be running all over the place looking for activity. The place just seems to come to us!!!

We got by to see Ivan, of course, and Jewel, of course! [img]http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/6606/2436764570085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img] Chatted with both of them about the possibility of a dock being built at White Bay and needless to say, neither one of them was too happy about it. While at Ivan’s, I purchased a CD by Foxy, Ivan and Michael Beans with proceeds going to the Preservation Society of JVD, so any of you that are by there, you should purchase one not only to help out with the Preservation Society of JVD, but to hear some fabulous music! I especially enjoyed Foxy’s opening tune.

Got to see Jerry and Tish (owners of Sandcastle/Soggy Dollar) as they came over from St. John one day on the new Soggy Dollar boat with family and friends. It was great to talk to them. [img]http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/5959/2628747420085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img] By the way, I noticed that Jerry had on his blue Soggy Dollar braclet! Also went to visit with our good friend, Baba and crew @ Ali Baba’s[img]http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/3859/2922817670085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img] where we had some awesome Bushwackers on a couple of different occasions. Also went to Abe’s [img]http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/3698/2052796350085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img]one night for a Lobster Dinner. Of course, our taxi driver was Bunn [img]http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/4304/2812041310085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img] and is he ever proud of his new taxi. It is fabulous! Check it out in my webshots.

Our last night at Sandcastle, we got to meet T’tolers, Saildoggie, Mrs. Saildoggie, Rex and Laura and their kids and had a drink at the Soggy Dollar with them. It was great meeting you all. What a great bunch of people. Since it was our last night, we didn’t go with all of them over to Corsairs. Also, we were going to be interviewed right before dinner by Eric Meyer [img]http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/4442/2992056680085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img], a 17 year old entrepreneur who was making a video of Sandcastle, the workers and the guests. Will let you all know where to view that when Eric has it completed. Should be great! Also, met Marcia and Steve [img]http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/6848/2000488660085595623S200x200Q85.jpg[/img]from Southern Cal., and I see now that they have registered on the traveltalk board. Welcome. It was great meeting you guys.

Time to leave now, but not without first running into a few more good friends. At the ferry dock at West End Tortola, who did we run into, none other than Lorilee our taxi driver while on Tortola. Oh course she recognized us and left her lunch and came running over to give us a hug and kiss. Then at the ferry dock, we run into Reuben waiting with his guitar. Since I hadn’t picked up his new CD yet, I asked him if he had one, and low and behold, he had one left on him. It is great by the way and it is called UNPLUGGED and has a picture of Seddy’s on the cover. I encourage all of you to get it! Loads of songs about JVD!

Back to St. Thomas now at that when we get to that horrible scene at the airport….long lines, more long lines, no water, more long lines and NO A/C and did I mention long lines? Not a pretty scene. Only if we have to, will we go back by that route. But I guess with a free trip compliments of USAir for next June we may have to. Somebody’s got to do it! But no, seriously, Boston, San Juan, Beef Island, Lorilee’s Taxi (drinking a cold on the way), West End – is our preferred, coolest, least crowded, route.

Great meeting all you T’tolers and many thanks once again to Roger, Sandy, Tina, Clayvorne and the staff and crew at Sandcastle for making our stay fabulous as usual…..you guys are the best!!! See you all in January! Countdown is back on, only 183 more days!!!!!