This was our first trip to St. Maarten and our first attempt at a trip report. So here it goes.....<br><br>Airline Info:<br><br>My wife's flights from Rochester through Charlotte (US Air) went very well. On time and luggage arriving. My flights through Philadelphia (US Air also) were uneventful arriving slightly early. Immigration was a breeze for both. On our return, my wife's flights were uneventful and customs a piece of cake. I had a slight delay in St. Maarten (2 hours - engine trouble) and missed my connection in Philadelphia. US Air put me up at a hotel and paid for my meals. I returned to Rochester Monday morning.<br><br>Car Rental Info:<br><br>Rented through Hertz. The whole procedure was a blur. [Linked Image] Went to the airport check in desk and handed in my voucher. Hertz agent looked at the voucher, handed me back some paperwork and told me to go to the shuttle bus. Got on the bus and headed over to their car lot. We had a free upgrade from Hertz and handed it over to the attendent. First car was the loser in a recent demolition derby. Questioned the attendent as to whether this was the upgrade?? He said yes! Politely refused the car. Attendent brought out a brand new (900 km) BLUE Mazda. I looked over the car and even though it was new, I counted 7 dents which we marked down. Our license plate was a piece of duct tape with black magic marker numbers. [Linked Image] As a whole, not a negative experience. Returning the car was a breeze - no problems at all.<br><br>Accommodations:<br><br>We stayed at Club Orient. Chalet #46 near Papagayos. Chalet was very nice. We were worried about being so close to the restaurant (noise), but it was never a problem. We loved being able to park ourselves on the beach with the option of returning to the Chalet easily. The only negative [Linked Image] (and I mean small negative) was that because the foliage was somewhat overgrown, we had a problem with little bugs. It made it impossible to sit outside. Housekeeping was very good. It was very convenient to have Le Orientique (excuse my spelling) available. We loved the french bread and apple pastries in the morning and perhaps it was a little more expensive than other stores, but it just was soooo convenient. Club Orient staff as a whole was very good. Wine and cheese party is a nice touch and entertainment was fun. The other guests we met were very friendly. Met one couple, Roger and Amy from Pittsburgh who were staying at Divi but loved Club Orient's Beach, we ended up spending some time together throughout the week. For first timers, we really enjoyed the C/O experience.<br><br>Restaurants:<br><br>These reviews are the thoughts of two people who are not gourmets - FYI.<br><br>Papagayos - Breakfast and lunch [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]good service and good food. Dinner, however, [Linked Image]the prime rib special was not prime rib and the scallops were very overdone. Jack, the manager, was very nice. He made of point of introducing himself our first night there and said hello everytime thereafter.<br><br>Il Nettuno - [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] Very very good Italian food and service. Nice view over the water, very romantic. Would definitely go back the next time.<br><br>Talk of the Town - [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] Most eclectic atmosphere of the trip. We had the plate of ribs and chicken and some grilled shrimp. All were very good.<br><br>Surf Club South - [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] Had lunch there one day. Andy and Cheryl are very nice. We had a terrific philly cheesesteak sandwich with fries.<br><br>Rancho Steak House - [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] These 3 [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]are our feelings regarding the food. We had a mixed seafood platter and a combination meat platter. Both tasted good. However, [img]/images/icons/thumbsdown.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsdown.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsdown.gif[/img]for the smell coming from the water. It was really gross [img]/images/icons/sick.gif[/img]. We would like to go back sometime when it did not smell so bad.<br><br>Turtle Pier - [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] Went on their Lobster Special night. Good food and service for the price.<br><br>Sebastianos - [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] Very very good food and excellent presentation. This was the one "fancy" restaurant we ate at. Very romantic and very nice view over the water. Excellent service. This was the most costly meal of the week. My wife would definitely go back - a little too "fancy" for me, but I am sure she could convince me to.<br><br>le bar de la mer - [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img] Our personal favorite. Had the grilled gambas - outstanding! They are huge and very tasty. Comes with baked potato and salad. The only restaurant we ate at twice. Good creme brulee.<br><br>Activities:<br><br>Went on Tiko Tiko [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]. What a terrific time. Phillipe and Emanuelle do an outstanding job. Linens, champagne and great food. Take a walk around this neat island its worth it. Mud bath is fun. Your skin really does feel smooth when you wash it off! One piece of advice: avoid going when the cruise ships are in. There were four other catamarans there with us. A little too crowded, although it is fun watching them watch and avoid the "naked people".<br><br>We went to the butterfly farm which is a really neat place, however, do not go when the Disney cruise ship is there. We love kids, we have two of our own, but two buses of family fun is a little much for us (especially when we don't have our kids).<br><br>We went horseback riding at Bayside Stables. The 2 hour ride ($55 each) was fun. You follow a trail over to Gallien Beach. Once you get there you have some refreshments and then they allow you to ride some of the horses in the water.[img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]<br><br>Went to see Air France land at the Sunset Beach Bar. Some TTOL members were going to meet there on the 22nd, but we only met Maureen and her husband Dave. It was great to meet them and we enjoyed talking with them. The Air France coming in is quite a sight.<br><br>Negatives [img]/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]:<br><br>One evening while driving through Marigot, there was some trash in the road with three young men standing on the sidewalk. As we drove by to avoid the trash, they threw a plastic bottle at our car [img]/images/icons/spook.gif[/img] hitting the passenger side window. We did not stop and continued back to Club O keeping our fingers crossed that there was no damage to the car. There wasn't, so no harm done, but still a little scary. One evening we witnessed another scary situation while eating in Marigot. At a sidewalk bar next to the restaurant, a fight broke out between two locals. There was shouting and then it escalated into a bottle throwing fight. All of a sudden [img]/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] this car came out of nowhere and tried to run everybody over. The gendarmes showed up fairly quickly and arrested one of the men. It was like being in a COPS episode. Again, no harm done. The only other thing would be the road to Club Orient. It sure could sure use some fix up!<br><br>Overall Thoughts:<br><br>I never thought sand gravity would get to me, but boy did it [img]/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. It is a WONDERFUL THING! We really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere on St. Maarten and really look forward to returning. I would like to thank Jim and Mary Ruos, Caribbean Islands Travel, for all their help. Thanks to everyone on the board for the great advice. We will continue to read the board while waiting until next year. 341 more days to go, but whose counting?[img]/images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 6/11/01 01:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>