St Maarten July 4th to July 17th 2007 It was going to be a short report, sorry.

BDL to CLT to SXM on US Airways, FF miles, Picked up a sandwich in CLT Easy Trip
New Airport was nice to arrive in, through immigration fast and baggage was there. We did miss the rush of warm air that would rush in your face when you walked out the plane door. A/C in the new airport is quite nice. What you miss on arrival is the rest of the airport, the new restaurants, the stores and you don’t realize the number of stores you have access to when you are going home and have passed through security, and so if you forgot to get a gift, you can get it at the new airport.
Also at the new airport when you are looking for your rental car go through the door to your right, and that’s where we met our representative from Unity. Michael set us up for the 2 weeks in a Hyundai Sonata, pretty luxurious car for SXM. Liked the car only the A/C could not keep it cool. Then on to the Royal Palms to pick up the Cell phone from Sharon. Off to the Grand Marche, picked up coffee, tea (Lipton’s Yellow Label Tea and enough that we bring it home every year), milk, butter (French Butter for us while we are on SXM) wine, etc, enough to get us through the night.
Leslie and I checked into the Sea Palace in Phillipsburg and maybe because it has only 32 units here but the staff, Elvin, thank you, took our luggage and food supplies up to our room, while we went to see what was going happening on the boardwalk. We ended up at the Pasanggrahan Hotel beach bar having happy hour drinks with Janet the bartender. Be careful, very careful, she makes a very strong drink. We talked with some first time visitors to the hotel and they loved the accommodations. It is a very fine place that takes you back to what St Maarten was like in the past. We then had a very relaxing dinner in the restaurant, love this place, and walked back to the Sea Palace.
On the walk back we didn’t go back on the boardwalk but stayed on Front Street. Just down the street, from the Pasanggrahan Hotel we noticed a sign for “La Baguette”. Having considered my self a tour guide for Phillipsburg and knowledgeable about all the food places, how did I miss this business? Well it was decided that since it was closed and shuttered that we would return in the morning to see what was offered. We went home had our tea and then to rest, we are early to bed people.
I was on the balcony, with coffee, at 5 am to start my first morning reading a new book. Phillipsburg, like any city, starts to come alive early, well early by Island time, and by 7 AM things are happening, the cruise ship of the day is just on the other side of Little Bay and from our balcony it keeps getting larger and larger until we can see the top of the ship is higher than Fort Amsterdam. It is always impressive to see the ships arrive and dock with such ease. The people and trucks start to arrive with supplies, the joggers are on the boardwalk, the dog’s are being taken for walks and swims, a father with his two small children are walking the family dog and playing in the water. The 88 year old local is in the water for his morning swim, every day for as long as I have owned here and he waves and talks to all. The children are being dropped off at the day care center across the street, we realized that this is the first time we were there in the summer and missed the children in their uniforms going to the Orange School. Anyhow we do enjoy this part of the day. Now we decided to go for our daily, morning, walk on the boardwalk, but today we have a destination “La Baguette”. If you walk the boardwalk, past the wharf, just to where Taloula Mango’s is, go left and cut through the Sint Rose arcade , turn right (east) on Front Street, you are just almost to “La Baguette”. It is the first alley on the left. Well today we bought two chocolate croissants, two raisin pastries and one long baguette, total $3.40. Catherine’s “La Baguette” (owned by Catherine Diribarne, 24 Front Street 599-542-1601, [email]labaguette@sintmaarten.net)[/email] was a stop every morning, and some days for lunch, great sandwiches from $5.00. This was the find of the Year for us.

On our drive over to Orient we stopped at the Westin on Dawn Beach and walked through the facilities, very nice. Many guests were around the resort infinity pool, swim up bar, and a few were on the beach. The restaurant by the pool seemed busy and had a nice breakfast menu. We stopped in the Residence sales office and inquired about the condominiums. They have 99 units; all are 1654 sq ft starting at $699,000.00 and going up to $1.5 mil. All units have the same layout, but the price is for the location and view.
On to Orient Beach and a location just east of the Perch, this is July and the chairs are almost touching. I was surprised to see the number of people on Orient and I see little difference between January and July. We walked down and had lunch with Cheryl and Andy. Hugs and kisses from Cheryl and Andy never seemed more relaxed. Andy’s problem of the week was, no fish from Boston for a week, seemed the bad weather caused delays with American Airlines and Andy would not accept any order that had not arrived on time. That’s why his business is what it is. Great lunch and a good day.
Our nightly walk on the boardwalk took us again to see Janet, I never learn, the drinks are taking its toll on me. We walk back on the boardwalk and have dinner at Taloula Mango’s, nothing special a hamburger and a salad. Then back to home.
Friday we decided that Orient Beach was much too crowded and went to see Daniel over at Cupecoy Beach. The ride over was easy but the construction sites were many, just beyond Little Bay and the Belair Beach you have a major construction where they are working on the East side of Cay Bay Hill. On the other side of the hill, at the bottom where Cole Bay is, they have stripped the ground bare for the largest project I have seen on SXM. The excavation is encompassing all the area of Cay Bay. The Flamingo, the Carravensi, the Cliffs Condominium, the Rainbow Condos, the Villas at Coupecoy and the Point Condominiums. Add just over the border at La Sammana some new villas, all sold out at $5 mil each. Well Coupecoy beach is small but very nice and Daniel’s chicken and ribs are always a good lunch. It is our favorite place, even with the construction of the Pointe Villas. Don’t know what will happen when they are completed but did enjoy the beach this trip. Back to P’burg and our boardwalk, well tonight we had our cocktails at the Holland House and they were very good. We walked the length of the boardwalk and decided to eat at Antoine’s, by the sea (119 Front Street 599-542-2964 www.antoinerestaurant.com ), its five buildings from the Sea Palace with an entrance on the boardwalk as well as on Front Street (valet parking too). Our usual server, Leo, greeted us. Leo is from Guiana and is married with a daughter, and at first he seems indifferent but he really is a good, caring, person. We had Caesar Salad and baked salmon and red snapper in mustard sauce. Several glasses of wine and then the best dessert on SXM. If you are a Chocolate lover or don’t know that you are then you must try Antoine’s Chocolate Soufflé (he also makes a Grand Marnier Soufflé ) takes about 20 minutes so you might want to order ahead of time. It is the best ….
Saturday, this is the day; a special day, the children and grand children arrive. We do our usual morning walk and then try and get mentally ready for the visit. Off to the Airport and we go to the Sunset Bar to wait for the arrival of the first group on American Airlines flight from JFK. We told the Grandkids to look out the right side to see if they can see us waiving at them from the beach. AA arrival is seen and we are off to get them. We are waiting patiently inside at the arrivals gate and then Leslie’s daughter Kristen sticks her head out to tell us that her “bag was not on the flight and she has to fill out the forms”. Well they finally come out, Uri, the dad, Jake (7) and Josh (5) and then Kristen. Well the story of their trip to SXM is exhausting. They went from Woodstock, Ct to Boston on Friday night because they had an early flight out on Sat and with the two small ones they thought it would be better than trying to get everyone ready at home. The hotel included park and fly with the rate so that was good. Sat they went to Logan Airport early and were informed that AA flight from BOS to JFK was cancelled……… Now what, the airlines said they could get them on a US Airways flight to LaGuardia and they could take a shuttle to JFK. Well they just made the shuttle and it gets them to LaGuardia Airport, they have no idea how far away JFK is, they ask about a shuttle and are told they are not running yet, so they find a TAXI, and Uri’s say’s the driver is about the best person he has ever met. He told them he would do his best and get them to JFK. They get to JFK and then Kristen is picked out for a random search………… Needless to say that the AA jet way was still in place and they ran out and they were the last to make the flight. Kris’s bag was still missing. We went to the Sunset Beach bar to await the arrival of Spirit Airlines with my daughter and 3 of her 4 children. Uri and I went to Unity to pick up another car and then to Sharon’s to pick up his phone and my daughters phone and then back to the airport. We saw them arrive and went to pick them up, Trudy, Julie (11), Andrew (9) and Mary (7) was all glad to see us. They claim the flight was great and easy with no problems. We packed our car with the luggage, Uri decided to get a Jeep, and kids and off to the Sea Palace. We had units on different floors but beach side and the kids found out that they could talk to each other over the balcony, sorry folks.
They were in the water in about 5 minutes time and stayed there until it was time for dinner.
We went to Mark’s by Grand Marche. I like to bring a dinner back to the night person at the Sea Palace, Kevin, he has been there for a long time for such a young man and we like him. My point is that we had dinner for 10 plus one I brought back for Kevin, plus leftovers, and the bill was $135.00 not including tip. Marks is always on our list to eat at and the kids thought it was great (Uri had all you can eat ribs and boy did he eat, he loved them).
Some of the things we did with them during the week,
Cheri’s , this was a hoot, the kids loved it and we loved it, Leslie was on stage dancing and I, along with our son-in-law, Uri was picked to go on stage. The kids were glad to see that I can make a fool of myself. Dinner, I had the Sea Food Pasta with the creamy sauce, it was very good loads of seafood. The Butterfly farm and Orient Beach. Mullet Beach, was like a sheet of glass and clearer then I have ever seen, and lunch with Rosie (Uri, a fireman in Mansfield CT found out that Rosie’s son, he runs the grill, was a fireman on SXM and they ended up doing what fireman do, they traded fire house shirts. Uri say’s the best cooks and BBQ is done by firemen) We returned to Mullet several days as it was everyone’s favorite, the kids all had braids put in their hair by Joan just behind Rosie’s place. Friars Bay, very bad smell from the salt pond. Gutside was closed, so we didn’t get to see Richard. We walked up to see Fort Amsterdam and then snorkeled in Little Bay at the Divi. Water was clear and fish were plentiful. Nice day. The water trampoline in Great Bay, $5. Per person for the day, I got to play lifeguard. On Great Bay some of the other attractions that we did not do, Segway $60 per hour tour on the boardwalk, great to watch, Jet Ski, Julie wants to do, maybe next year. We stopped to eat at Jimbo” and had the greatest time, Jimbo’s has a pool inside the restaurant and the kids were swimming, Kris was at the swim up bar and we sat at the table waiting to celebrate Julie’s Birthday. Jimbo Morris owner of Jimbo’s ( www.jimboscafe.com) stopped by our table and we asked what had happened to Good Fellow’s he informed us it was now owned by him and is named Valentino’s Italian Bistro (www.valentinosbistro.com) we wanted to go but time has it’s way on SXM.
We did get to watch the grandkids on several occasions, our daughters and Uri went to St Bart’s. They went over on the Rapid Explorer, they were not happy with many on the boat getting sea sick. They are all pretty good with boats but were surprised how crowded the boat was and how many got sick, they were handing out buckets to those with the need for them. They rented a car and drove the Island, stopped to buy a baguette and cheese for lunch and then to St Jeans for the time they had. They would all go back. When they came back and traffic was heavy in Simpson Bay area they decided to eat at Peg Legs, Uri claims it was the best Bourbon Steak he has ever had. They bought some gifts for them selves and came home late. The next night they went out late and ended up at Bliss until the wee hours. Trudy, being single, loved it and plans to go there the next time she comes to SXM.
Sat came and it was time for the kids to go home, and for Leslie and I, it meant a couple of days for ourselves before we had to go home. Dropping the kids off at the airport and watching them leave was sad, Mary turned around while going up the escalator and extended her arms out and drew a big heart and then blew a kiss, it was devastating. They were off and we were alone, well with each other.
Sunday and Monday we were back at Cupecoy, we had some rain, but the week ended for us very well. We fly home on Wed at 1:30 Am we are leaving the airport, Leslies Luggage did not arrive. She was claiming while we were in CLT that she saw her luggage on the tarmac in the rain and I told her no way. Yes, dear you were right.
They delivered the luggage to our home at 5PM on Wed; it must cost them a lot of money to do this.
While we were in SXM, Leslie’s aunt in Oregon had past away. Leslie had wanted to fly from SXM to OR as soon as possible but her cousin in OR told her that they were going to have a memorial service later on. So we try and buy tickets, while in SXM, for Leslie to go to Oregon from BDL. I bring up Travelocity, Orbitz and Delta, at the internet stop by Sharon’s, all show a price from CT to OR in the $400. price range. When you try to book it changes price and informs you that no seats at that price are available. The only seats available are in Business Class $1,000 plus. It ends up that we get home on Tuesday and Leslie flies out to Oregon on Thursday and the plane has many empty seats.. I figured that they knew the IP address, that we were out of the country and can take advantage of us. IMHO.
Other thoughts
Everybody, kids too, loved Rima’s, they have the best free maps of the Island.
Kangaroo Court, best coffee
Dinner at Pineapple Pete’s, Ok, felt rushed, music was great.
Barefoot café, Center of P’burg by the Wharf, early openings and locals to chat with.
CORNIE’S restaurant on the Boardwalk in P’burg. If you ever wanted to try Johnny cake’s the way they should be here is the place. He starts early in the am, around 6 Am getting his wood burning grill going. At about 6:30 you can buy eggs and Johnny cakes, the best and truly a local flavor, the dad and son run this place and it is another of our favorites.
I don’t know what I forgot to put in this report but we had a great time and we will be back in January, for me it will be my 29th year going to St Maarten. It never gets old.