Here is our trip report from Aug 3 thru Aug 17.

Left Newark on Continental Flight #861. Flight was full and on time. Arrived at airport and through immigration and our luggage arrived quickly. Met Mohammad’s rep from Panasonic outside the terminal and were shuttled to their office off sight. Filled out paperwork, checked out car and were on out way within 20 minutes. I like the airport delivery much better. Always good service, car was great no problems.

Checked into Royal Palm. They were very efficient and we were able to stay in the same room for our 2 weeks. Resort looked good and any issues were quickly resolved.

Beaches - Spent time on Orient and Baie Rouge, our 2 favorite beaches. We always say we are going to check some others, but we always end up here. The kids had fun snorkeling around the rocks at Baie Rouge and bouncing on the trampoline at Orient. Orient was windy but beautiful. Baie Rouge somewhat cloudy but hot.

Food - Made the bakery run every morning to La Suciere. We ate chocolate croissants, flan and apple turnovers and whatever else we just needed to try. All fabulous. French bread for sandwiches on the beach and happy hour later in the day.

Went shopping at La Grande Marche and US Export. (I wish we had these stores in NJ) for cheeses and French cold cuts, pates, coffee, liquor and anything we just had to try. Loved the salami with herbs de province around the outside.

Restaurants - We ate on the Dutch side this trip due to the exchange rates. We ate a few times at Pineapple Pete’s. The lamb shanks, short ribs and Lobster Thermador were outstanding. My younger son ate the steak and the chef prepared it just like he eats it at home. My older son tried all kinds of fish and enjoyed them all.

We also had ribs and chicken at Lido’s BBQ. John does an awesome job and we all love the food there.

Ate once at our favorite restaurant at the Marigot Marina – La Maison de la Pate. We have eaten there about 50 times over the years and just loved it. On this visit we found out it had recently been sold. The portions were smaller and the quality was not the same. We were quoted the exchange rate before dinner and when the bill came it was higher and they really didn’t care to discuss it. We were not happy and will probably not go back.

We did some research on Paris Bistro in Maho before we arrived on island. There were internet coupons and we took them with us. If you arrived between 5:30 – 6:30 you received 30% off dinner. All I can say is the food, service and people were AWESOME. Rene is the manager and Lionel was our waiter. They were both very gracious along with the rest of the staff. They had a prix fix dinner with choice of 3 great appetizers. 3 excellent entrees and a choice of any dessert on the menu for $44. Use the coupon and it’s 30%, 20% or 10% off depending on the time you go. The rack of lamb was fantastic. My son also had an assortment of fish and other dinners we had included lobster with shrimp, veal with a mushroom cream sauce, and snapper in puff pastry and mahi mahi. The chocolate soufflé and crepes Suzette prepared tableside, apple tart and crème burlee were also great. We ate there 4 times. With the 30% discount the meal was less than what we paid at Pineapple Pete’s.

This was the first time we ate at this restaurant in all the years we traveled to St. Maarten. I would have no problem recommending this restaurant to anyone. You must try it. We gave coupons to people we met and they went and raved about it also. The food was plentiful and beautifully presented.

Doctors - My younger son had ear problems on the plane ride down and by Monday he really was in a lot of pain. Royal Palm called Dr. Datema at 5:30 pm and he told us to come right over. A wonderful Doctor and after 2 follow up visits, a prescription ear drop for pain and Ty was fine. He is at the Simpson Medical Clinic behind Tutta Pasta. His fee was more than reasonable and there were no charges for the follow up visits.

We left ½ hour late on August 17, during some bad weather from Hurricane Dean.

We met very nice people and there were a lot of kids at Royal Palm and they all hung out together for the whole time. There were about 15 in all ages 12 thru 16. It was nice because we did the beach with some of them and they would all meet up late afternoon in the pool and after dinner to hang out. Most of them from NJ and they are now making plans to meet up before school starts.

It was a wonderful trip. Can’t wait to go back!!

P.S. I also have a Luiz Gomez bathing suit report in a separate report.

Carolyn