After listening to and partaking in a few discussions we decided to rent a car from Lesley Bruce of Kenny’s. Then the “fun” started, about a week before we were to land there was a note on the board from Lesley that he would be off the island when we landed – oh joy. Anyhow after a quick email exchange Lesley said that a gentleman named Denicio would be meeting us at the airport.

An uneventful nonstop flight from Toronto on Air Transat (normally crowded but only about two thirds full) brought us to the enchanted land. A bit of a lineup at immigration but no problem, walk out the door and there is Denicio waiting for me, he took my luggage to the car whilst I went back to get the boss and her luggage. By this time Denicio had returned and insisted upon taking her luggage as well, then off for a short drive to the office of Competition Car Rental. A quick exchange of paper and plastic and we were on our way to Mercure Simson Bay Hotel (a follow-up to our stay in February/March of this year). A very short and well-organized lineup and we had arrived. The only problem on check in was not realizing the lack of knowledge of yours truly in the layout of the hotel. So after climbing up and down three floors with all of the luggage the boss decided that we should find out where the room actually was before we climbed another three floors – she is wonderful in figuring out these sorts of things. This worked and we had a beautiful two-floor room facing the pool just across the hall from the road – quiet and beautiful. As we had checked in just before the cutoff of the all-inclusive drinks we decided to drop down and have our first refreshment lo and behold they even had put our pizza and refreshments for us. So far so good

Sunday the sand gravity took over and now the events will not necessarily be in order. We were a little late in getting up and spent the morning getting provisions LNB’s (long neck Bud) for me and Diet Pepsi for the boss (my lovely and adoring wife) as well as various nutrients for the beaches. The first day was spent a Baie Rouge a little rough but oh so relaxing. The rest of the week varied mostly between Orient Beach and Mullet Bay with Mullet winning out in the final tally.

Breakfast and dinners were taken at the hotel (we were all inclusive). Interestingly enough we had decided in February that we would do the all inclusive and any night we didn’t like the buffet we would go out and partake of the fine dining on the island. In a way we were disappointed by the chef’s offerings that week in that we never did go away from the hotel for food! The dinners offered were a choice of two appetizers, normally a soup and another choice, with the entree being a fish or meat choice, followed by a good dessert. Was this food equal to the wonders of some of the restaurants in Grand Case – no, but very enjoyable dinners and a nice setting. So once again we did not go out for any dinners.

We did our first TTOL event on Wednesday an enjoyable evening at Gutside. Being our first event we didn’t know what to expect and I must say we were impressed with the work and efforts put in by Belaire (I believe – I am working with a poor memory and the thread has disappeared), not to mention by the hosts tremendous food for the 25 or so people that showed up. This was our disappointing part of the trip. After looking at the roster of people who committed to coming (about 75) we were astounded to see only 25. although the 25 people that showed up including the Frank Sinatra sound alike were wonderful. I t must be discouraging to go to the work of setting up a venue for 75 people and only have one third appear, but enough.

Our next TTOL event was on Friday at Bayside and it was wonderfully attended and put on event. Yes there was a brief shower, actually a downpour but it didn’t dampen the spirits of the hosts or attendees a good way to spend our last night on the island.

The only thing that we did much differently this trip was on Thursday, the daughter of a good friend was staying at one of the private villas or should I say castles on the island on Plum Bay. Holy S**t it has been a long time since I have seen this sort of opulent living – rather enjoyed it I must say. The only downside was going into Phillipsburg the next day to cash in a bling certificate that the boss had received as a birthday gift. Who is this guy David Yurman anyhow?

General comments on the island. Due to the many concerns we had heard about thefts we almost brought an arsenal with us -- totally unnecessary – I think that if one exercises common sense one should be fine. Found two new beaches Friars and Plum; Friars was not nice the day that we were there as there was about a yard / metre of rocks that had to be traversed in order to get into the water but I can see why people love it, Plum Beach? Just another wonderful place to spend a day. We finally (after all of these years) ate ribs at Rosies and kicked ourselves for not going earlier. Also we went to Talk of the Town in Grand Case – thoroughly enjoyed it. In both cases the meat just fell off the ribs and the chicken was soft and juicy (a little pause as I wipe the saliva away). We now have a quandary; we were treated very well by Denicio but it was all set up by Lesley of Kenny’s – I still haven’t met Kenny but look forward to it.

Now an explanation for the title as there are only six days left, we will definitely not be returning to the wonderful isle this year but most definitely next. Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year.