12 days of bliss – just the way I want to start the winter season in New England. This was an extra trip for us this year, lots happened in our lives since last March and we felt we deserved this time away!

Airlines – We flew AA out of Hartford with on time flights on the way down but with a 90 minute delay on the way back. Talk about the airlines lowering my expectations – I was actually happy we got home on the day we were suppose to!! We only did carry ons, didn’t want to deal with luggage thru customs in SJU as our original connection time was short. We just bought we needed (as in it wouldn’t make it in a 3 oz container and 1 quart baggie) at the Grand Marche.

Rental Car – Got upgraded to a brand new Yaris at Unity. Great service, we keep going back.

Traffic – No really challenges except thru Simpson Bay and this was low season – I hate to see what it will be like in March. We never had a problem headed down the Hill towards the bridge, the tie ups were always going in the direction of the Cay Bay Hill. I think primarily cuz the road was so bad where it turns into one way up toward Lidos. We would come down the hill, see little or no traffic coming towards us, make our way thru the one way streets and then find a huge traffic jam starting at the jersey barriers down past the RP. Roads were pretty beaten up on both sides. Big time pot holes that just brought traffic to a dead stop.

Orient Beach – only one we went to, narrower than we usually find it in March. At Club O there were 2 rows of chairs but they were really crammed. We ended up more towards Pedros as the beach was wider and I didn’t have to hear every conversation going on around me. Lots of rocks as you first got into the water but once you got out it was sandy for the most part. There also seemed to be a lot more folks who brought their own chairs and umbrellas than we ever saw before.

Shopping – didn’t do a whole lot, carry ons do limit what you can bring back. Stopped at DK Gems, Deepti was gone for the day but said hello to everyone else. Didn’t make any purchases which is a first for me, but nothing really floated my boat. Back Street seemed to be completed although it looked like parts of it were already collapsing. Parking was hideous, even with the new lots at the Salt Pond.

Restaurants – We weren’t into extravagant dining this trip. Baywatch for lunch every day we were on the beach – only got mussels one day, I was so disappointed. At night we ate at Pineapple Pete’s, Bajatsu, Pizza Pasta, Rics, Lady C, Moulon Fou (?sp), and Peg Legs. All good, no complaints.

Misc Stuff – Went to both Grand Marche’s – I thought the one at the roundabout was every bit as good as the one in Cole Bay. Last day on the island we are in our room at the RP and hear all these police and ambulance sirens – I thought for sure something had happened at the airport, since I believe every police car on the island went by. Found out later that they were on a high speed chase trying to capture some auto thief. Several wrecks occurred along the path of the chase which ended with bullets and injuries. Unreal. Stayed at the Flamingo and RP – rented weeks from the owners and both resorts were in fine shape.

We had a great, relaxing vacation and go back again the end of Feb for the Regatta. The island is not the same as it was 10 years ago when we first stared going (and what is?), but something keeps us coming back.

MB