We just got back and had an wxcellent time. This was our first time chartering and for the most part everything went well.
First, we spent 2 nights on the docks in Leverick and watched the Super Bowl there. a great place, everyone was very accomodating and Nick is a super guy. We spent a day touring VG on scooters which was a great way to take in some awesome views. We had lunch at the Mineshaft and that was clearly our best lunch and best tropical drinks we had all week. It was hard to beat the nachos at Leverick during the game though.
We chartered through Sunsail and I had some concern after seeing a number of negative posts the week befroe we left. I could not have been happier about the people there, especially Michelette (sp), who worked in Reception. I had a few questions as a newbie charterer and had a few requests and she went way out of her way to help me out. The chart briefing and boat check out I thought was barely adequate. On boat check out, I clearly knew more about the boat and it's systems than the person giving it, but it was no big deal. We had some mechanical problems with the boat which left us under sail with no engine. We had to sail onto a mooring and lost a half day of sailing, but Sunsail repsonded and ended replacing the shifter, cable and linkage.
Our fisrt day we sailed up to Trellis Bay. Pretty exciting with a very inexperienced crew, especially when the WSI was hitting the low 30's. We were double reefed but taking a beating windward so we motored the last 45 minutes. The Last Resort was fun and then dinner at Da Loose Mongoose. Food was ok but service extremely slow, not just ilon time. The next day we motored to the Baths (wind right on our nose) and spent most of the day. We were shocked at how few people were there. Snorkeling was good despite the swell and the view from the Top of the Baths was spectacular, food was good there as well. That afternoon had a great sail up to Leverick and enjoyed the game.
Spent a few days at JVD including the half day for repairs in Little Harbor. One couple took some ATV's out and enjoyed buzzing around the island. I spent some time along the shoreline by Abe's and found some great snorkeling there and spotted 3 huge tarpon, never had seen them underwater before. Had dinner at Sidney's which was fun. The BBQ was good and met Sidney to boot. One night we went to Foxy's but couldnt eat there as a large contingent of Dutch sailors were in. We ate at Ali Baba's which again was good but not anything to write home about.
Last night spent at Norman. Lunch at the Pirate's was very good, and what a great view from the beach. Snorkeling at the Caves was excellent and saw some turtles there.
Bottom line, we'll be back and try to pick our spots next time instead of tryinmg to jam everything in. Never made it to Anegada and so glad we didn't as that was the day the transmission cable went, would not want to be there without motor propulsion!!.
The biggest suprise was really the lack of crowds. If it wasn't for the Dutch, both Foxy's and the Pirates would have been dead. Not that I'm complaining about that, but I just assumed that it would be much busier.
The weather was interesting as well. The wind speed each day was all over the place. On Thursday when we were sailing from JVD to Norman, the wind came through just off our bow, in minutes the wind speed was up into the mid 20's and the seas became very steep and choppy. 2 hours later it looked like a lake.
Well enough rambling but before I go I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. The information I received here was informative and just made our trip so much easier and a little less stressful. Thanks All!!