My husband and I have just returned from 6 days on St. Barts and 5 days on St. Martin. This report will not be comparing the two islands - both are very different. I was debating whether or not to post an honest report for fear of getting bashed for any negative comments. However, after reading about Bruce and Kim, I feel compelled to respond.

When we arrived at the airport, our car rental agency was not waiting for us as promised but I tracked them down and they came quickly. The "Service Engine Light" was on in our vehicle but we were told it was nothing to worry about. As we drove off, it soon became apparent that the engine was surging but we decided to keep the car for the time being. We were anxious to get to our resort.

We stopped at the supermarket for provisions. I stayed with the car since our luggage was inside. Two people approached me for a light for their cigarette. I was apprehensive going into my purse for matches but did it anyway. I felt like it was just an excuse to check out the contents of the car in hope that I would wander away from it. It was a bit disconcerting to see armed guards both inside and outside the market. Trash was everywhere and glass bottles in the hundreds were just thrown all over the place. It was a sad sight to see so much litter.

We arrived at Club Orient after a horrendous ride in traffic all the way. Our check in went smooth and it felt great to be back again at a place we love so much. Our room was spotless, the staff was friendly and great to work with and the boutique was well stocked with groceries and essentials.

On our first night we decided to go to Grand Case for dinner. By the time we arrived, it was getting dark. No parking was to be had and it was rather congested. I felt that we were being checked out by everyone lingering in the area. We decided to head back to Club Orient instead and just eat at their restaurant. Papagayo's was great - we ended up eating almost every dinner there rather than going offsite. The food was good, the service was great and the prices were reasonable.

The road back into Club Orient gave us both the willies. It is deeply potholed so you must drive very slow. It was easy to see how simple it would be for thugs to jump out of the bushes and ambush the car.

Since we've traveled the island many times before on previous trips, we decided to just play it safe and stay at the resort. We were content to enjoy the beautiful blue water and sunshine. Sometimes, we did miss going out to our favorite restaurants but it didn't seem worth the trouble of going out.

One day while dozing on the beach, I heard whistles blowing. I looked up and saw the security guards running after two boys who had just ripped off someone's knapsacks. I have to give the guards lots of credit. They were really on top of the situation and the thieves were caught. As I spoke to others on the beach, they said this was almost a daily occurrence.

Would we return again to St. Martin? I honestly don't know. The only reason we go there at all is because we love Club Orient and there is nowhere else quite like it in the Caribbean. I don't post often but I do follow the travel forum every day. I'll be watching and reading to see how things go in the next several months. I feel so sad to see this island going downhill. I hope things get better so we can keep coming back.

Island gal