Laura & Steve's St. Martin Trip Report
June 3-10

This was our 7th Stay.

Flights
We are based in Allentown PA but always fly out of Newark on Continental. Both flights uneventful. It's nice that they still feed you a snack.

Hotel
Grand Case Beach Club was great as always. We took advantage of the continental bfast each morning but did not eat at the restaurant(under new management) any other time. Exchange rate $1=$1.35.

Restaurants
Ti Bouchon (3x)
We agreed ahead of time in order to stick to our budget we would only frequent restaurants that offered 1:1. It was tough not going to our old favorites (Bistro Caraibes, Ti Provencal, Le Cottage), but in the process we actually found a restaurant that has become our new favorite, Ti Bouchon. This little restaurant in the French Cul de Sac (former Le Piccolo location) was the highlight of our dining experience. We enjoyed 3 evenings of delicious food and great conversation with owner Momo. He treats you like an old friend from the moment you meet. Twice we had the Red Snapper in Citrus Sauce and the next I had the Shrimp and Scallops Kabob and by BF had the Pork Mingnon with cinnamon and raisins sauce. For dessert, we had the molten chocolate creation with passion fruit sauce and the Pineapple Crumble...outstanding! Best of all, they offer $1=1E cash OR credit. Don't miss out on this delighful find!

Spiga (2x)
We've been dining here as long as they've been open. Enjoy the food, but, (and I hope this doesn't sound too harsh) we've always felt the service borders on unfriendly. It's not enough to keep us from coming back, but the owner Lara just doesn't seem as warm and welcoming as other restaurant owners (escpecially after an evening at Ti Bouchon). Could have been that we weren't drinking wine (we don't drink) but who knows. That being said, their business appears to be thriving and we wish them continued success. You will never think about fruit salad in the same way once you try theirs for dessert...a must try. 1:1 cash (credit begrudingly).

California (1x)
Always a pleasant dining experience for us, watching the sunset over Grand Case. I had the Grouper in Lime Butter Sauce and my BF had the Bolognese. Food was good, just not as great as last year. Friendly service. 1:1 cash.

Pineapple Petes (1x)
We ventured to the Dutch Side one night to try their famous Lobster Thermador. Shared a 3 lb lobster (the only size they had that night) between the two of us for $48. It was worth every penny. Not too crazy about the bar-type atmosphere...they will put you inside in the non-smoking area if you ask .

Top Carrot
We always head here straight from the airport for one of their sandwiches and the mint-lime juice that I talk about all year long...I'm addicted! Met a nice couple from our area (noticed my BF's t-shirt advertising a local music festival) who offered us their shaded table as they left.

Hilma's Windsor Castle
Had to try this place (in a tiny trailer in Simpson Bay) after rave reviews from Anthony Bourdain. If you blink you'll miss it. YOU MUST try their meat pies...Yum!

Kokomarina
We had our heart set on this after hearing great reviews, but were disappointed to hear they were closed while we were there. Walked a little on Orient trying to find it anyway, but couldn't!

Il Flottant Bakery, Grand Case
Missed out on the croissants this time, but one of their pannini's made a quick, filling lunch.

Lolos
Homemade ice cream (chocolate and banana) from the ice cream lady under the lolos.

Crime
Didn't see or hear anything, but we were still on guard at all times.

Litter
Mullet Beach parking area is full of trash. Also in Cole Bay, saw a woman and her son? emptying trash piece by piece into an overflowing dumpster. It was a little windy and every piece she threw in blew right back on the ground, and she didn't pick it up!

Beaches
GCBC & Anse Marcel--Spent most of our time at GCBC and our new favorite beach, Anse Marcel. It's so peaceful and quiet there, and most days we only shared the beach with 2 or 3 other couples. I heard a rumor that the Radisson will be opening in August...if so they have a LOT of work to do!
Coralita Bay--Got brave enough one day to walk out to the little island in ankle deep water and found the most amazing shells...just don't step on the sea urchins. I go crazy over shells so I was in heaven.
Guana Bay--BF had a scary experience where he had to be rescued by a fellow swimmer after getting in over his head, and in a pretty stong current...he just can't resist the waves here (they remind him of his childhood on the Jersey shore) but the conditions can be very dangerous!
Friars--didn't seem as appealing as in previous years...what's with all the rocks at the water line?? We've done the Happy Bay hike before, but decided against it this time for safety reasons.
Cupecoy--are they trying to compete with Maho Village? So sad. We couldn't even find the entrance to the beach so we missed out...one big construction site.
Gallion Bay--road to Butterfly Farm is worse than ever. I was convinced our car would be swallowed by a pothole. But we enjoyed the beach.

Weather
Absolutely perfect every day, quick shower here and there at night. Rained hard on the day we left (the 10th).

Car Rental
ACE, second year in a row. They no longer let you drop off at the airport, but their office is just up the road. Everything was fine but they seemed very disorganized when it came time to take us back to the airport. We had to wait for quite some time at the office (they were stuck at the bridge opening) and were nervous we might miss our flight. Didn't help matters that there was a torrential downpour. But everything worked out.

Traffic
Not as bad as previous years, until the final day...the traffic through Marigot to get to the airport was an absolute terror.

Construction
Everywhere. Even in areas like Grand Case and Cul de Sac where you are not used to seeing cranes! I know I'm not the only one wishing we could go back to the way things used to be.

Pictures
You can see a photo gallery of this and last year's trip on my website. http://www.b104.com/pages/laurastjames2.html

Summary
Overall, a great trip, and we will return. We've been to Vieques, Barbados, St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Guadeloupe, Nevis and St. Barts, but St. Martin is our true love...the only place that keeps us coming back time and time again!