Getting ready
Secured passports back in January. I emailed the image of the vital pages to myself, just in case everything was lost. I did the same with the traveler’s check numbers. We booked Hotel L’hoste on Orient Beach using Jim Ruos. Jim was extremely helpful, especially allowing me to upgrade to a second floor room several weeks before we left. His bookings also receive priority room assignments. The recent change to US Airway’s baggage policy did not affect us since the tickets were purchased before the change. I was curious to see how much luggage we would have, so we did a “dry run” a week before leaving; no problem. One carryon each and one checked each. I had created a packing list, loosely based on other’s I found, and revised it periodically. We packed our bags, and then filled the left over space with extra food and bottled water. I figured we might as well maximize the luggage space and weight limits. Outside of perishable food items, we brought everything we would need. Guess what, we still brought twice as many clothes as we needed.
U.S. Airways
Smooth sailing through check-in at DTW. There was a young lady in front of us who’s checked bag must have exceeded the 50 lb. limited. She was sorting through and removing some items. I weighed our bags before we left home so I knew we would not be in the same boat she was. Very smooth flight to CLT. This was our first time flying, so we were both a little nervous. CLT was a breeze, had a 3 hour layover, so we grabbed some breakfast there. Good weather all day. When we got to PJA, we deplaned directly to the outside. Wow!! That is some humidity. Return trip was uneventful. Only took about 30 minutes from touchdown in Charlotte, to go through customs, retrieve bags, check bags, and pass back through security. Had time for supper before we got to our gate.
Transportation
Got a ride with John’s Taxi Service; stopped by Sharon’s to pick up the cell phone; dropped a couple off at Oyster Bay, and another at Oyster Pond, then off to L’hoste. I was aware of the taxi fee, but didn’t realized they still charged the “norm” when they piggy-backed other stops. Was actually charged $35, the extra for the “stop” at Sharon’s.
L’hoste will make arrangements for a taxi when you leave, just give them a days notice.
We did not get a rental, and at no time during our stay did we wish we had one. Don’t really think we will get one the next time we return either. We are the beach bum types, and are content to stay in one place.
L’hoste
L’hoste was a beautiful hotel. Nice setting with many tall palm trees and wonderfully landscaped. Staff was very friendly, and check-in was a breeze. We were on the second floor, middle room in the building closest to the beach (just as Jim Ruos had told us). Room was spacious, with nice balcony overlooking the yard, and the back of La Playa Bar. Balcony has a lounge, two chairs and a small table; perfect for eating in. We could see several glimpses of the water through the trees. Daily maid service, with bed made and fresh towels. Complimentary toiletries. 50+ TV channels including HBO. Small kitchenette area, with single bowl sink, 2 burner cook top, under counter refrigerator and microwave. Kitchen was furnished with limited dishes; 1 pan, 1 pot and dinnerware for two. Patio door is equipped with a steel hurricane shutter that can be shut for added security. In room safe is nice size. Room also has a small closet with hangers. The only negative to the room was the toilet area; the room had a very strange musty smell. We also saw small ants on the counter daily, but no big deal, just keep food crumbs wiped up. Fresh beach towels were available at the desk each morning by 7:30. The info I had mentioned a 110v shaving outlet, which I found late in stay on the side of the bathroom light. We had brought a voltage convertor set. I discovered the microwave was 120v, and was powered through a 1500 watt transformer; so we just used the microwave plug for shaving and her curling iron.
Breakfast was included with our room at Restaurant Madras (part of L’hoste). Breads, pastries, fresh fruits, juice & coffee. First impressions; not enough food for two. By the time we had finished, decided it was just enough. Not used to eating so much bread for breakfast. Crescents and coffee were the best we’ve ever had.
L’hoste has a very nice pool that was well maintained. Seldom used. We did have a nice swim late one evening.
You also receive vouchers for 2 welcome drinks at Madras and La Playa. A voucher for two drinks at Cote Plages when you buy two meals is also included.
Complementary chairs and umbrella at La Playa are also included; though we chose not to use them because they do not allow coolers. Their sign specifically said “No Picnic”.
Food
Tap 5: Not the best pizza we ever had, but o.k. Was a little shocked when he cracked open an egg, and dropped it onto the pizza; $15. Also purchases a loaf of bread here; $5.
Safari Grille: Very nice setting, excellent service and good food. We ate here twice. First meal was flank steak and chicken dinners; both came with salad and potatoes. With the bottled water the total came to $55. Second time we got burger/fries and Chicken Caesar salad. With bottled water and one Coconut Rum Jumbie colada total was $48.
Baywatch: Excellent food, atmosphere and people. Ate lunches here every chance we could. First time we each got a burger and shared an order of fries. Way too much food. The rest of the week, we shared meals. Awesome New Jersey Dip sandwich on Tuesday’s, and Lasagna on Thursdays.
The Pirate: Ate here the one day Baywatch was closed (Monday). I had ribs, salad & fries; she had cheeseburger and fries. With two cokes the total was $18.50. Entrees were excellent, fries were so-so.
Cell Phone
Rented one for Sharon Harris. $25 dollar rental and $10 for about 30 minutes. Worked great on Orient Beach. Used it to call the kids when we got to the webcam, so they could see us online.
Activities
Parasailed with Sunsmile. $100 for two. Fun and very scenic, probably would never do it again. A lot of money for a 10 minute ride. Next time will rent a wave runner.
Shopping
La Boutique: Visited the Club Orient store almost daily. Nice selection of items to take home, inexpensive jewelry for the kids, and groceries. Food prices were cheaper than the Tap 5 store in the village. Also, picked up a pint of Ben and Jerry’s on several occasions for an afternoon snack on the beach.
Adam & Eve: Nice selection of wraps, swimwear and jewelry. We each purchased a beach wrap. Very comfortable, and much easier to slip on when heading to Baywatch for lunch. The lady that runs this shop is a real sweetheart.
PJA: A lot of shops in the airport once you pass through security. There are several places to purchase liquor, along with jewelry, clothing and souvenir shops.
Snorkeling
For first timers, we found the reef at Pedro’s well worth the trouble of bringing our gear. We probably saw at least a dozen different kinds of fish, along with star fish and conches. I had purchased an underwater bag for my camera and the pictures were hit or miss. The bag does cause some distortion. About 20% turned out o.k. It seemed to work better when I set my camera of the video mode.
Club Orient
Since La Playa did not allow coolers, we decided to try CO on our first day. This was the first clothing optional experience for both of us. It took me about 5 seconds to loose the shorts and another 5 to get use to it. Felt perfectly natural. She lost her top just as quick. I read a lot of post on this forum about first time experiences and they were all true. There is absolutely, nothing sexual about being on a nude beach. In fact it is just the opposite. The only time that I thought I might have one of those “embarrassing” moments was when I watched my wife try on a top at La Boutique. Must be something about clothes…go figure. We both enjoyed CO so much, we spent everyday there.
New Friends
The best part about Club Orient, and it’s what made my wife feel comfortable, is the people. We met more new “friends” in one week at CO, than we have in the last 5 years at home.
Paul & Kathleen: Paul thanks for introducing me to Petonc.
John & Betty: John better luck next year on your kite surfing; thanks for handing out those beads.
Joe and Bea;
Steve & Sue;
The May 17th Queen and her King; thanks for passing along the swim noodles.
Gail and Husband;
Joe and Amy;
Al and Wife;
Mike and Linda;
Jerry and Joan; thanks for the friendship and the privileged of getting to know you both. Thanks for your concern for our safety, and sharing this with others. We really enjoyed our lunches at Baywatch. Look forward to seeing you again on the beach.
Bob and Linda/Jim and Rae; sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet earlier in the week, but thanks for your concern for us on that last day.

If I screwed up any of the names or forgot some, I am sorry. We look forward to meeting up with all of you on our next trip. May is a good time for us, except we did miss several of our daughter’s school events, so if we return in ’09, we may need to adjust our travel dates by a few days.

Summary
We had been discussing a trip of this nature for about three years, and planning this one for over a year. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year, and wanted to do something special. St. Martin was everything we hoped it would be and more. I’m not sure if we can make this an annual trip, like so many of our new friends, but we will return as soon as possible. Next year does look good.

[Linked Image]