Trip Report Feb. 7-21
Left Ottawa and connected through Toronto without incident. Picked up our bruised corolla – as requested – from Kenny’s. The two ladies grabbed a cab and the men followed us to Pelican Marina Residences. Rooms 412 and 513 were beyond our expectations. We have both booked a one room suite and they took our breath away. A kitchen that I could live with (though somehow never cooked the meal that I promised to), a separate dressing area from the toilet/bath area a full living room that we used more than we expected to and a balcony view that is etched in my memory. We had planned to go to Tijuana Yacht club, have a cocktail and watch the mega yachts go by but we watched from regular intervals right from our balcony. In the background we watched the planes come and go and passed many a bottle of wine out here.
We spent our first meal at Topper’s and were pleased with the brisket, bay scallops and meatball sub. Went back to enjoy our new quarters and it was early to bed after a full day of travelling.

Started our next day at Zee Best – is it wrong to cry at breakfast – I’ve been waiting a year for my ham, tomato, and Swiss crepe with the coffee I can’t get enough of. Yes, I am really here and why don’t I live my whole life here? Spent the rest of the day by the beach a Buccaneer Beach Bar (we hadn’t found the beach for the pelican at this point and paid $5.00 each for chairs). It was a sunny/rainy/sunny/rainy day but we’re tough Canadians and toughed it out till 4pm. One of the island dogs came by to hang under our umbrella and wait for the rain to end. A fair weathered friend if I ever saw one. Dinner was at Pineapple Pet’s that night. Lobster thermion, beef short ribs, fish and chips, awesome music. I know why the “Ottawa Citizen” rated this #10 restaurant worth travelling around the world for. Next year #9.

Tuesday finally off to Orient Beach. Got chairs at the pirate – are they jammed closer together this year? Walked the beach from end to end and compared it to previous years. Went for a long lunch at Leandra’s and met Bruce from MN and a couple from Montreal that I could swear we met on a prior trip. Leandra was by herself today so Steve pitched in and waited tables. He kept my pinot noir filled but I don’t think his tips were enough to sustain us should we ever move to the island.

Thursday we decided to take our friends to see a few different beaches. We started the day off at mullet. Beautiful clear day. Moved on to have lunch and spend the afternoon at Karakters (the schoolbus) on simpson bay. Had a great lunch and the best mojito ever. Chairs are free if you are having drinks there. We walked the beach and it felt like the planes were putting on a show just for us. Amazing. Our trip took a turn that afternoon. My husband Steve (gold medalist in the Old Milwaukee Olympics) was body surfing. He thought he would get just one more wave when he was thrown around like a rag doll. He came out of the water holding his arm. Thank goodness I’m a first aider. Used a bathing suit wrap to sling him up and returned back to the pelican. New we had to get to the hospital but after 14 years of visiting had no idea where it was. The concierge at Pelican arranged for one of his drivers to take us to the hospital (Cay Bay if you ever need it ). We were taken within 5 minutes of arrival at the hospital and treated with a courtesy and kindness that I doubt would exist in our own hospital if you were a visitor to the country. Steve was diagnosed with a broken shoulder and arrangements were made to visit the orthopedic surgeon Dr. Merciano later that week. Our visit to the hospital including xrays was about $350.00 in and out in an hour an a half. We spent 20 mins with a consultation from Dr. Merciano at a cost of $45.00. (we are now back in Ottawa and the voicemail at the orthopedic surgeon’s says there is a wait of up to 24 months). If surgery is required we may just get out our cheque book and head back to SXM.

Took it easy the next day and stayed in touch with our travel insurance. Do we want to go home early – no broken is broken, we’ll stay right here. The excellent accommodations made our stay here possible and comfortable. We have spent a considerable amount of time on our balcony and though it is not how we planned on spending our vacation we are still feeling pretty lucky.

The rest of our vacation was a little more low keep than anticipated. We had some great dinners, we were with good friends in my favorite place in the whole world. Could be worse. Had a fun night at Captain Oliver’s and a couple of great dinner’s at Batjatu and La Gondola. David, fro La Gondola was kind enough to cut Steve’s food for him.

On our departure date the General Manager was kind enough to offer us a late checkout given our recent situation. Very appreciated,.The trip home was trying by any standards but worse if you have a newly broken shoulder. We arrived at the airport to find our 6pm flight to Toronto was estimated to depart after midnight. After a minor tantrum hours. (why is this necessary) it was agreed that they would give us a room at the Maho for the four of us in light of my husband’s uncomfortable condition. definitely Our 8 hour trip home dragged out to 30
We were grateful to be home but can't wait to go back.