fabila 44
RonDon 38
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Oceanwaves22, redroses27
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (StMartinFan, BaardJ, fabila, bostonbob, wct49, cbf, lhbsurf, KirkB, SXMScubaman, xrayman67, Swifty, CdnCouple, MrEZgoin, road3682, Manpot, duckfat, 8 invisible), 735 guests, and 131 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Port Morgan, Haiti #76227
11/25/2015 11:51 AM
11/25/2015 11:51 AM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline OP
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline OP
Traveler
Somewhere out there
Not quite a trip report, but I had a random unplanned stop here 2 weeks ago. Wow what a surprise. The "resort" is locate on an island on the South Coast of Haiti, Ile de Vache. The resort has a nice pool area, awesome restaurant big enough for a large crowd. We checked out the rooms and they were very nice, setup in cabins, with 2 rooms each. Staff was great. There is a nice beach also.

The island is very poor, but we saw no trash, everything seems to be repurposed. The people didn't beg, they asked us to do any work on the boat.

The amazing part of this place, while we were having lunch, there was no sound, no TV, no outboards, no cars. There were a few horses, but their sound is peaceful.

So if you are looking for a remote get away, you might look into this place. Not easy to get to. Fly to Port a Prince, bus for 4 hours or car rental, then 45 boat ride. The room rate was $130/day including 3 meals, beers were $2.50.

Mike
Sponsors
Re: Port Morgan, Haiti [Re: kneafseym] #76228
12/05/2015 08:05 PM
12/05/2015 08:05 PM
Florida
RobT Offline
Traveler
RobT  Offline
Traveler
Florida
Nice to see someone visiting Haiti. We spent two nights in Port Morgan a few years ago. We rented a car in Port-au-Prince and drove there. My wife is from Haiti, so she knows the roads. But we did get lost once on the way. The boat only goes once a day from Les Cayes to Port Morgan. They had me park the car in a small, but very secure building. I would not recommend driving there if you do not speak French or Creole, as the roads are not very well marked. I would not go to Haiti now until after the elections. Maybe going by boat would be safe.

I did not see much of a beach at Port Morgan, but they will take you to Abakabe Bay which has another resort and a really nice beach. We took another excursion to a Catholic children's home elsewhere on the island.

Beach Hunter