Having talked about it for some time and with time running out (8 launches left)we made the decision in Nov 2008 to try and see the 5/09 launch which was scheduled, at that point in time, for 5/20/09. I booked air.

Next I had to decide on a tour Company since the tickets directly, although less expensive, from KSC sold out very fast and I really did not want to deal with traffic anyway. I found
http://www.kennedyspacecentertours.net/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=38
After making a reservation at one of the Hotels that they have for pick up on their list I booked.

As time rolled closer the launch date was moved up to 5/12/09 and, of course, I jumped the gun and changed all the reservations, including air, for the day before. The air actually went down from Nov and even with the "change fee" it only cost an additional $29 total. My excitement was short lived when they re- re-scheduled for 5/11. I took a bath with air fair and the change fee since now I was leaving on a weekend day (5/10), but what the heck. Once again I changed all the reservations, no problem.

Mothers Day (5/10) rolled around and the mission was listed as an 80% go for 5/11 with the window days of 5/12 and 5/13 only 60%. We were getting pumped! Unlike all of our trips to the Caribbean we did not have to get up before the sun to catch a flight and we did not spend 1/2 our life getting there. We left around 2:44PM for a direct flight to Orlando, picked up the rental and installed the pre-programmed GPS. First stop was CVS since we did all carry on and refused to pay the $15 bag check in fee. CVS had fold up chairs on sale so we got 2 of them, water, and sun screen for the blistering day it was going to be for the 2:01PM lift off the next day. Got the the motel and had our mothers day dinner then bed for an early 6:20AM pick up. It was now a 90% favorable conditions for lift off.

Bus was right on time and totally full just from our motel stop. Got to KSC around 8:00 and were told to meet back at the bus by 10:45. At 10:30 we headed over the the bus entrance and waited to board, then waited for the ever presnet, or un-present, stragglers until 11:40 when we finally let for the Causeway viewing ("the closet possible sight for viewing open to the public"). With 5000 of our closet friends we staked out our viewing location at 12:30, pitched camp and dealt with the 88 plus degrees, 79% dew point, 70% humidity, UV index of 10+ and no shade other than the umbrellas we brought and our chairs. Good thing it was only 1 1/2 hours until the "scheduled" lift off, still I am sure there were some hurting doggies the next day because 90% of these people were not prepared for this weather.

The count down finally resumed at 9 minutes and it was a go for sure at that point. 2:01PM and it was lift off, awesome, spectacular! We lucked out on our first try to view a launch!

Within 5 minutes it was over. Including the uneventful ride back to Orlando (arrived at 4:15PM, record time considering traffic) the whole day was 10 hours long but well worth it!

There was a major problem with lack of information as far as what to expect. First you could then could not leave your stuff on the bus while we toured the visitor center resulting in us lugging chairs, cooler, etc around for 3 plus hours needlessly. They said you could not bring back packs but clearly everyone else did not read the memo and there was no problem. You are bussed out 1 1/2 hours prior to launch, although you could be sitting there for the entire "window" of 4 hours if there was a delay of any kind. Chairs and umbrellas were available to purchase with beverages and food right at the visitors center.

We went back a couple days later for the "Up Close Tour" since Endevour was loaded up on 39B and we could get a great close up as well as the empty 30A pad etc. This tour was 2 - 2 1/2 hours long on the actual buss then you could spend another 2 - 3 hours on the 2nd part viewing a film and doing a walking tour of some other parts of the complex. Learned a lot on this tour and the two main things was: 1) the entire until of 2-solid rocket booster, liquid fuel tank and orbiter are called the Shuttle. The craft once on its own is called the Orbiter. 2) Kennedy Space Center is NASA and Cape Canaveral is USAF.

This has been on the "list" for a long time and well worth the time/expense. We were very lucky that it went off on our first try!

Photos at the below link and questions are welcome!