Tuesday 6/16 – up at 3:00, run to Dulles and off we go! Air travel was uneventful, and we are soon at the Petite Pump in STT having a Carib and some fritters. THEN it begins………..the Fast Ferry leaves 20 minutes late – they waited for a family, and then has to motor SLOWLY due to weather – we arrive at Roadtown 1 ˝ hours late, at 6:30. Customs takes ˝ hour due to schoolchildren returning from a daytrip, but AT LAST we are free! BVI Yacht Charters has a cab waiting for us – even though we are late – and he not only takes us there but shows us where Mistral is. Of course we missed Bobby’s, so we are on the boat at 7:30 with no food, warm beer (Caribbean Cellars had dropped our Carib that day) and I am pretty much done with the day. BUT WAIT! Bobby’s delivery van comes back by, so we now have food! There is one substitution, and he brought 3 possiblities for us to choose from. The driver even gives us a ride over to One Mart to buy ice! A word of warning at BVIYC – they have adopted a puppy, and being dog people we were playing with him – a LOT. Around 2 am I hear a dog bark, and when I start up the companionway, he is looking in – he had jumped off the dock onto the boat and was looking for his new buddies!

Wednesday – I go to check in, and the girls head to Riteway for meat/veggies. I can’t say enough about BVIYC. Before the charter they quickly answered even the really petty questions, and now they did everything possible to get us off the dock quickly. I sent 2 more people to TICO to grab the other necessities – we had been too late the night before, and I did the boat brief with Anthony. I have never had as thorough yet fast briefing in all our trips. The boat was in great shape, and he had installed several extras, such as a parallel water pump system “just in case”. Mistral also has the coldest fridge/freezer I have ever seen on a boat. Off the dock by 11:00, we head over to Peter Island, and grab a ball in front of Oceans Seven. Hit happy hour for conch and saltfish fritters, and enjoy a quiet evening on the boat with grilled steaks and cold Caribs. Riteway meats really are the way to go.

Thursday – off to the Indians for some snorkeling, then past Soper’s to Cane Garden Bay. Grab a ball, and off to Stanley’s for a cheeseburger – and it was great. Lime around for a while and then go to Myett’s for happy hour. Meet Malcolm and Candace, and then George (GeorgeC1)walks in with his friend Harry O’Nan. Really an enjoyable afternoon. Harry and his daughter are divers, as are my son Andy and I, so we have plenty to talk about – and Harry, I still hate you, your life is too perfect! After dinner on the boat we head in to hear Quito play alone, and it is as good as it gets. Mal is already at the bar, and George, Harry and families soon wander in too. This is the first trip my daughter, Heather, has been of legal drinking age, and I have a weird moment when Fitz tells me, “the lady says her beers are on you”! It’s gonna take a while to get used to that one. The music and company are superb, and Andy has decided that Harry’s daughter is pretty much perfect; a great evening.

Friday – we stay in CGB for another day, and simply wander the beach, enjoying NOT being in Maryland. We had planned to go back to Quito’s again, but ended up in a marathon Monopoly game on-board (there is a card game version) and sitting up in the cockpit listening to the music and looking at stars.

Saturday – off to JVD, after a quick sail we get a set on the second try. By the way, to Bill Hartzman, I cheat a little here, as years ago when you had a boat, maybe Jeannius there with the GPS turned on with Google Earth, I noted where you anchored, and have used the same spot twice now – thanks! We head in and spend the day hanging at Foxy’s, and come back that night for the buffet – excellent choice! Spend some time chatting with Paul, and back to the boat for more Monopoly and rum.

Sunday – Father’s Day! – a word of explanation: For the 21 years that I have been a father, I have only spent one with the family, as they spend every summer in Myrtle Beach SC, so not only do I get one with the kids, but I get to spend it in White Bay at the Soggy Dollar! Oh HECK YEAH! We settle in, have a few painkillers, and I notice a familiar face – it takes me a minute, but it is Pete from the Coki Beach Dive Club on St Thomas. When Andy was 10 we had done an intro dive with Pete just to see if he liked diving. Pretty cool to see him, and I thank him for starting Andy's diving career, but he’s not the only familiar face – none other than KC wanders in – he’s now a ferry boat operator. Was really great to see him too. Met Rick Moore for the first of several times, he was there with a charter. Sat and listened to Reuben, and just enjoyed being me. Back over the hill, we clean up and go to Corsairs for dinner. Vinny is back in the states, and as good as the food is, it’s just not the same without him.