Member Spotlight
onlymedication
onlymedication
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (steve74, Rumlover, Kennys, Midsouth, MNsnowbird, xrayman67, SteveH, davidandsusannj, Memphré, cbinparadise, KirkB, 12 invisible), 886 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Clock or Counter #95629
04/24/2016 09:21 PM
04/24/2016 09:21 PM
Houston /Clear Lake TX
S
Stubkata Offline OP
Traveler
Stubkata  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Houston /Clear Lake TX
Returning to Tortola with the Moorings after 2 years for the second run. DIF is real! Last time, with my College Room-mate and wives did the circle from Norman, Cooper, Northern VG, Sandy Cay, JVD, Sopers and back. This year, my wife and our two college grads, was thinking Norman, Scrub, Leverick (2), JVD (2) Cooper or Peter, home. Two questions for those seasoned professionals... Any issue going straight line from Leverick to JVD sailing North side of Great Camanoe and Guana Island? And... is there anything better about the itinerary going clockwise instead of counter around Tortola on a similar Itinerary? Will be there in 4 weeks, late May on 39' sailing cat. Thanks...

Play Time is the Best Time
BVI Sponsors
Re: Clock or Counter [Re: Stubkata] #95630
04/24/2016 11:47 PM
04/24/2016 11:47 PM
Mardi_Gras Offline
Traveler
Mardi_Gras  Offline
Traveler
Jeff,

I like your tentative itinerary, we have done similar with our adult children. I think the typical charter guests start their sail on the weekend and progress in a CCW path around Tortola. Heading off in the opposite direction (CW) would generally mean fewer boats in the mooring fields for you. May is not a particularly busy time, I think you will find ample mooring locations provided you arrive before 2:00 regardless if you travel CCW or CW. The downside of going CW is the upwind slog on the North side of Tortola. One of our favorite sails is the downwind CCW sail from Leverick to Scrub. We come around the North side of Scrub and enter the pass between Great Camanoe and Scrub, sailing from Leverick to JVD around the North of G. Camanoe and Guana would be a very nice relaxing sail.

I think I would focus on where do you want to be for specific events (Full Moon Party, Michael Beans Show or Friday BBQ at Leverick, Wednesday North Beach party at Scrub, etc)

Cheers,

Tony

BTW We lived in Pine Book S/D in CLC years ago.

Re: Clock or Counter [Re: Mardi_Gras] #95631
04/25/2016 06:34 AM
04/25/2016 06:34 AM
Grenada
Zanshin Offline
Traveler
Zanshin  Offline
Traveler
Grenada
I've seen many an excited BVI traveller make detailed sailing plans before the trip (as I've done in the past as well) who have been disappointed because they've stuck to the plan.
The major variable in all of these sailing plans is the weather. If the seas are flat and the winds regular then a counter clockwise sail going upwind on the weather side is perfect; but if the seas are up and then winds strong then attempting the same itinerary will be sporting or difficult. So plan both directions and decided once you get there.
(The other major factors disrupting carefully laid itineraries are, in no particular order: hangovers, seasickness, loving an anchorage, hating an anchorage, needing to replenish water and/or food and/or alcohol)

[Linked Image]
Re: Clock or Counter [Re: Zanshin] #95632
04/25/2016 11:17 AM
04/25/2016 11:17 AM
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
+1

Just study the possibilities in advance and go with the mood of everyone on the boat each day.

Zanshin said:
I've seen many an excited BVI traveller make detailed sailing plans before the trip (as I've done in the past as well) who have been disappointed because they've stuck to the plan.
The major variable in all of these sailing plans is the weather. If the seas are flat and the winds regular then a counter clockwise sail going upwind on the weather side is perfect; but if the seas are up and then winds strong then attempting the same itinerary will be sporting or difficult. So plan both directions and decided once you get there.
(The other major factors disrupting carefully laid itineraries are, in no particular order: hangovers, seasickness, loving an anchorage, hating an anchorage, needing to replenish water and/or food and/or alcohol)

Re: Clock or Counter [Re: Mardi_Gras] #95633
04/25/2016 05:24 PM
04/25/2016 05:24 PM
Houston /Clear Lake TX
S
Stubkata Offline OP
Traveler
Stubkata  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Houston /Clear Lake TX
All great information, thank you. We did the sail from Marina Cay to JVD and it was the best sailing day we had. Great to hear no forewarnings on traveling the North side of GC and Guana.

The main thing was trying to figure which two days to carve out to reserve a dock at Leverick. CCW could put us there on Friday but I hear that Michael Beans will be signing off for the season in early May. Will look into North Beach and Full Moon, not familiar but will research as options. We definitely have flexibility in the schedule as all of it is fun. We actually want to hit less locations this time and explore and relax at our favorites a little more.

Like the idea of letting the weather help make the decision once arrived. Appreciate the input!

Tony, yes very familiar with Pine Brook, been here awhile. Looks like you may have traded up a bit! Cheers!

Play Time is the Best Time
Re: Clock or Counter [Re: Stubkata] #95634
04/25/2016 09:42 PM
04/25/2016 09:42 PM
Kansas
Chriskal Offline
Traveler
Chriskal  Offline
Traveler
Kansas
I don't know about Beans, but if you can work it out the Friday Jumbies BBQ at Leverick is pretty awesome and will be in full swing in May.

Re: Clock or Counter [Re: Chriskal] #95635
04/26/2016 12:17 PM
04/26/2016 12:17 PM
Colorado
stormster Offline
Traveler
stormster  Offline
Traveler
Colorado
Going clock wise can get really uncomfortable on the north side of Tortola. You turn around and all your problems go away!

Re: Clock or Counter [Re: stormster] #95636
04/29/2016 02:57 PM
04/29/2016 02:57 PM
Bozeman / Minneapolis
snowdog Offline
Traveler
snowdog  Offline
Traveler
Bozeman / Minneapolis
It all depends on the wind and sea conditions. I had a great closed reach sail on the north side a couple of days ago when the wind was out of the SE.

s/v Snow Dog - Leopard 46