TravelTalkOnline

Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols

Posted By: Brent

Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 03:21 PM

Ahoy Captains,

Yachts may ‘quarantine’ Off The Dock, with tests only on arrival and a 4th day, at a total cost of $175/person. You can get retested for $70/person. Free shore based ‘quarantine’.
Please consider this works Both Ways, to insure You and your Family and Friends are Safe and Sound for your Caribbean Escape.

From the Hon Fahie Premier of the BVI
https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/rem...ourable-andrew-fahie-phase-iii-reopening
Here are the New Protocols for travelling to the BVI.
1. All travellers for entry to the Territory, inclusive of all citizens, Belongers, permanent residents and work permit holders, will be required to pay for the traveller app, monitoring bracelet and the required two tests (entry and four-day) at a total charge of $175 per person. This is significant reduction from what was previously mentioned.
2. Cabinet also agreed that travellers or other persons will be charged $125 for any tampering or damage to the monitoring bracelet.
3. Cabinet also agreed travellers requiring a test from a government facility to facilitate exit from the Territory will be charged seventy dollars ($70.00) per test; and
4. Cabinet also agreed for the first three months, from 1st December, 2020 until 28th February, 2021, the cost of quarantine in a Government approved property will be met by the Government of the Virgin Islands only for the following categories of persons: citizens, Belongers, permanent residents and work permit holders, exclusive of meals.

And further clarification from the Hon Malone Minister of Health –
https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/sta...nt-honourable-carvin-malone-tuesday-10th
1. Cabinet decided that Phase III Testing Protocol, as amended, which requires certified RT-PCR testing at various intervals and sites for all arriving travellers in order to manage the risk of COVID-19 transmission while reducing quarantine requirements during the incubation period for the disease as follows:
2. Testing and quarantine protocols apply to all travellers inclusive of Tourists, Residents, Belongers and Work Permit holders;
3. Cabinet decided that all travellers will be required to download the approved app and must be issued a Travel Certificate;
4. Cabinet decided that the following tests will be required:
5. A Certified RT-PCR COVID-19 negative test within five days prior to arrival for all travellers from low risks countries; and within three days prior to arrival for all travellers from medium and high risks countries.
6. A test on arrival, which if negative, allows controlled movement within the confines of an approved property; and
6. A test after 4 complete days of quarantine, which if negative, allows movement within the Territory.
7. Cabinet decided that a traveller who tests positive before arrival will not be allowed to enter the Virgin Islands;
8. Cabinet decided that a positive test at any stage upon arrival will require fourteen (14) days quarantine; and for the avoidance of doubt
9. To allow a mandatory quarantine period of four (4) days within the confines of an approved property or vessel.
10. Cabinet further decided that the Protocol for Vessel Arrivals will require certified RT-PCR testing and provide for quarantine accommodations aboard vessels as well as restricted movement within Territorial waters as follows:
11. Four (4) days quarantine will be undertaken on the vessels at mooring sites to be approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration;
12. Cabinet decided that vessels will be able to move within territorial waters during the quarantine period but they may only moor at approved sites as approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration;

Here are News reports –
https://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=32144
https://bvinews.com/govt-reduces-cost-of-covid-accessories-for-all-travellers/
http://www.virginislandsnewsonline....app-bracelet-covid-19-tests-to-175-total

For those of you with Shore based assets and businesses, this opens the door, perhaps within weeks, for the opening of land based tourism.
I understand this is the InterWebs and therefore designed for a ‘race to the bottom’. I understand this Virus has side effects such as financial and mental health crisis. Maybe, please, we can not sabotage this specific thread with conspiracy theories and wild suspicions regarding the conditions in the BVI. I do not think it reflects well on those few of you, especially those with assets in the BVI, who continue to push your bad attitudes based on bad rumors, especially if your glass house is located in a high risk area. The BVI is taking a Huge Gamble to open it’s borders.
No 8th day test, no 2 week quarantine, no virus insurance, no guards, no quarantine on the dock. With virus outbreaks in Sept the BVI Gov imposed a curfew, not a quarantine.
Open Dec 1 at the Airport, and ferries by mid-Dec.
Some of the cheapest yachting and airfare prices in decades.

On a 2017 Leopard 45 with 4 Doubles and 1 Single and 5 Bathrooms and AirCon and a GenSet from Dec 19 to Jan 2 for 14 Nights for $14k.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 03:33 PM

As a mere charter guest, who can only embark on an 8 day charter due to time constraints, these changes to the protocols do not move our travel needle. While I understand the BVI's need to protect citizens, I do not consider undergoing three tests (including the one taken before travel), stressfully waiting for test results, being tracked, and limited movement, a vacation. For yacht and property owners and those with the luxury of time, perhaps it can be workable. I also want to point out that COVID insurance is indeed required in the new protocols (the note above indicates it is not) as is downloading their app which has security questions. I wish the BVI and associated businesses well. We will return when we feel we can enjoy our time there more fully, knowing it may very well be far into the future.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 03:36 PM

They did mention during the question section of the announcement that insurance is required. Did you hear otherwise?

There was no mention of being able to leave the docks during quarantine. The mention of designated mooring areas was specific to arriving yachts. Did you hear something else?
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 04:08 PM

Thank you for posting this!
Posted By: Husker

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 04:21 PM

This looks promising! Thanks for posting, Brent. Do you know if there will be a testing station at the airport?

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 04:38 PM

Ahoy Captains,

9. To allow a mandatory quarantine period of four (4) days within the confines of an approved property or vessel.
11. Four (4) days quarantine will be undertaken on the vessels at mooring sites to be approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration
12. Cabinet decided that vessels will be able to move within territorial waters during the quarantine period but they may only moor at approved sites

I would hope that there would be access to testing, for more than just flight arrivals, at the Beef Island Airport.
But I would put a reef in the sail on that, as they say Hope is Not a Plan.
And, within walking distance, the new Loose Mongoose in Trellis Bay now offers fuel/water and the opportunity to load pre-ordered provisions at the dock.
However, the location in VG might have the least traffic, either VGYH or Leverick, and both have fuel/water/provisioning.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass.
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 04:38 PM

Thanks Brent!

The fluidness of this situation across the globe is a tough situation to manage.

And 100% agreed that the negative attitudes (and "poor me" declarations) are not helpful. Especially when they offer nothing constructive in the way of a workable solution to move forward.

These revised protocols give those of us will land based assets a better framework to get moving to keep our beloved locals and tourist safe.

We look forward to welcoming guest back to Sandy Ground Estates!
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 04:46 PM

Horizon giving the first 4 days of quarantine free for 14 dys+ bookings

https://www.facebook.com/HYCBVI

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brent
Ahoy Captains,

11. Four (4) days quarantine will be undertaken on the vessels at mooring sites to be approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration;

I would hope that there would be access to testing, for more than just flight arrivals, at the Beef Island Airport.
But I would put a reef in the sail on that, as they say Hope is Not a Plan.
And the new Loose Mongoose now offers fuel/water and the opportunity to load pre-ordered provisions at the dock.
Whatever the location in VG might have the least traffic, either VGYH or Leverick. Both have fuel/water/provisioning.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass.

Your points 9 and 11 are part of section ii of the updated re-entry protocols and are for "vessel arrivals". I assumed that was for cruisers entering on their own boats. Does "vessel arrivals" apply to BVI charters too?
Posted By: toast

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 06:15 PM

Thank you Brent for your fair and balanced appeal, we all want to be safe and enjoy our favorite place again...
Posted By: sail445

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 08:32 PM

I can’t see spending my money to be put into quarantine for four days and have to pay for an app that spies on you.
I guess there are some people who like to be spanked and told how they must behave.
There are other places to travel to
Posted By: theKurp

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 08:38 PM

Still unworkable for a 7-day charter.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/11/2020 09:19 PM

The testing and costs are fair, and a great improvement.

The app is a big concern: security and video wise. The same people are developing the portal, which still doesn't have a date. Not folks I really want to have sensitive information.

Called both the Tourist Board and Health Dept. this afternoon, and neither one knows how our house would get inspected or how we could get out there. Our neighbor sent letters to three government department, none of which responded.

As far as boaters, will they really be willing to stay off land for four full days? If Marina Cay is one of the approved mooring fields, I can see folks using our private docks - a perennial problem - or hiking around private property.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 01:08 AM

Ahoy Captains,

I understand there is an outstanding issue regarding ‘The Good Ole’ Days’.
It is ironic, that maybe the closest We can get to Those Days, for the next few years, with No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics, will be on a Yacht in the BVI.
And all it takes are a few simple precautions to protect You and your Family and Friends.
My main concern now is the health of my Guests before they arrive. I fear as the Hurricane Season ends in the Caribbean that a Viral Cat 5 Hurricane Season will hit North America without those same precautions.
I hope every TTOL Member and their Family and Friends will use every resource to stay healthy.

#10 “The Protocol for Vessel Arrivals will require certified RT-PCR testing”.
Yachts can’t be the subject of a PCR test. Inductively, I would assume, therefore making an ‘[censored]’ of myself, that this is a declarative sentence with Arrivals as the subject and Vessel as the predicate, without getting into NewSpeak.
Sorry, not arriving yachts, but Individuals arriving associated with a vessel need tests, then out for 4 days sailing around the Sunny Caribbean with probably the channel islands for the first few nights, then a quick test, and grab a cold six pack from the beach bar, and It’s a Pirate’s Life!
Maybe some of the land based business can network with an entrepreneurial yacht charter business and offer a ½ Surf & ½ Turf Vacation to generate cash flow in the short term, hopefully opening more opportunities for both.

Went into BVI Gov Environmental Health today. They confirmed that Bareboat and Crewed Yachts can leave the dock to ‘quarantine’ with No Masks and No Distancing. And they are due in tomorrow to ‘Gold Certify’ my business.
Thank you for the compliments.
Sorry to the same few with the same old problems.

Lots of new friends with the same old problems, Open your eyes, You might see
If our lives were that simple, We'd live in the past, If the phone doesn't ring, It's me
If the phone doesn't ring, You'll know that it's me, I'll be out in the eye of the storm … (Literally with Cat 5 Irma)
If the phone doesn't ring, You know that I'll be, Where someone can make me feel warm
It's too bad we can't turn, And live in the past, If the phone doesn't ring, It's me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Oh7NVuwEk

Fair Winds, Brent from The Captains Compass.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 01:22 AM

Even with these changes the BVI will see 5% of the usual charters, if that. It's just not worth the hassle and expense. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing. The BVI can't even get the ferry system to run well. This Covid protocol is way beyond the government's ability to manage.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 01:28 AM

Bret the Good Ole days might be gone in your mind but don’t judge the rest of us on your Pessimistic logic.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 11:49 AM

"It is ironic, that maybe the closest We can get to Those Days, for the next few years, with No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics, will be on a Yacht in the BVI."

No, it will be on a yacht in the USVI, with no tracking app, reasonable testing protocols, better health care in an emergency all in a US jurisdiction. Couple that with better airlift and the St John National park.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 01:54 PM

The USVIs are great. We've spent much time sailing around all the main islands, including St. Croix. Unfortunately for us, under the current situation, our boat is in the BVI. We've been holding our booking, originally over Thanksgiving, now the first couple weeks of December, hoping the protocols would settle down to something practical and reasonably safe. We now feel they have and the probability that we will actually go has increased from 10% to 90%. The cost for the testing and monitoring (whatever boondoggle that ends up being) is now reasonable for a two-week trip.
Hope to see some of you TTOL'ers out on the water soon.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
I can’t see spending my money to be put into quarantine for four days and have to pay for an app that spies on you.
I guess there are some people who like to be spanked and told how they must behave.
There are other places to travel to

Originally Posted by NCSailor
Even with these changes the BVI will see 5% of the usual charters, if that. It's just not worth the hassle and expense. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing. The BVI can't even get the ferry system to run well. This Covid protocol is way beyond the government's ability to manage.

The BVI government is committing suicide while we standby watching. Damage is worse than hurricanes.
I feel badly for boat owners as the government hold their boats hostage.

We won’t be back, too big of a world to see.
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 04:28 PM

Do we even know if you can arrive to Tortola by ferry????
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ScurvyD
Do we even know if you can arrive to Tortola by ferry????

Starting December 8th according to latest information.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 06:07 PM

Love to hear any info about ferry service coming in December..
Posted By: Latadjust

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/12/2020 07:17 PM

Well, when we go, we cook on the boat about half the time. I don't mind making that half be the first half. Remember the feel and smell of the Caribbean air and the water! It's like the fountain of youth! To me, 4 days straight on the boat in the BVI is the about the same as 8 days cruising the USVI (there ain't a lot to do there onshore by comparison) ... yes, I do really enjoy the beach-side cheeseburger and Painkiller establishments, plus North Sound and Anegada and Jost, I suppose I could go on and on!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/13/2020 03:31 PM

the tracking app company

https://www.myambergroup.com/pdf/CO..._sL9KnJWW6Vr5BJ6LR-cP9NmaiEsrfoe6ruvX-Vs

Cat Co now offering 11 days for the price of 7. https://www.facebook.com/catamaranco/

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/13/2020 05:51 PM

I think I saw Conch is offering ten for the price of seven.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/13/2020 09:19 PM

Manpot, this is the committee dealing with everything perhaps they have the answer.

Attached picture e3a1d560-dc65-402a-8f9e-19e5f3acea55.jpg
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/13/2020 11:23 PM

Thanks Peter...anxious to get home and via STT is always easier , more pleasant and cheaper for us from the Bay area..
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 12:54 AM

This system is way to complicated. Not for me.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 02:38 PM

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2805459633041475

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 05:13 PM

I really don’t see what good news there is.
You arrive and have to stand in line for C&I then you have to wait in another line to be tested for COVET then your allowed to go into a 4 day quarantine if your test is negative, no information about you and say your family members if one person tests positive which can easily happen because the test aren’t that accurate.
They still want to track you even when the test is negative.
I don’t see how this makes your trip anything closely resembling a vacation.
Posted By: jrw

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 06:05 PM

Completely agree with Sail445! We’ve been sailing the BVI since 93. We’ll find somewhere else.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 07:51 PM

This spreadsheet summarizes the Eastern Caribbean entry protocols. There are 6 countries that do not even allow US residents to enter. Out of the rest, it looks like the BVI is about average on test, quarantine, and cost.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 08:02 PM

I am sure some folks think I am bring negative. let me give you my travel day to the BVI

Get up around 4 AM Drive to Miami, about 2.5 hours. Park at the local hotel, bring my baggage to the shuttle. Shuttle takes me to the airport. Shuttle drops off about 500 ft from baggage area. Drag baggage across 6 lanes of traffic. Give to baggage clerk and get tickets. Find a wheelchair to use thru airport. Go thru TSA and finally after about 30 min get to the gate, Bring carryon onto aircraft and sit into seat. Takes about 2 hours to STT At Stt grab my carryon and myself down the rolling metal stairs . Walk to the main building and wait for my luggage to arrive.Pull luggage off the luggage carousel. Bring the luggage outside to the crowded taxis. Try and get inside the crowded taxis. Wiat 10-20 min for them to load up. Get to the ferry dock about 15 min latter.Lug the luggage to the ferry counter.Figure out which ferry to use.. Wait for the ferry. About 1-2 hours later get to roadtown. Stand in line to go thru customs and immigration (Also collect my luggage for the mound of luggage.)This takes 30 min to1 hour. Go thru covid test. Go thru paperwork. Wait for speedy ferry to bring me to VG. Finally I am on VG around 6PM , so over 14 hours of travel.

Now with covid there are additional steps. Trying to get a covid test within 3 days of travel. Trying to get insurance that works Trying to download the BVI documents.

Does this sound like a lot of fun to the beginning of a vacation.? No problem quarantining the first day. I am exhausted.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
This spreadsheet summarizes the Eastern Caribbean entry protocols. There are 6 countries that do not even allow US residents to enter. Out of the rest, it looks like the BVI is about average on test, quarantine, and cost.

Whether or not the BVI is average isn’t going to improve tourism. To many if’s that there aren’t answers for.
We all know you can call a government agency 10 times for information on the laws and regulations and get ten different answers.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 08:18 PM

tpcook--not really a vacation so far, for sure, but hopefully from here, it's all downhill.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 08:20 PM

Hope you mean uphill!!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 08:26 PM

No, I think I mean downhill. Downhill is easier than uphill, eh?
Posted By: bvibound

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 09:14 PM

tpcook - you can arrange for a wheelchair at the airports when you purchase your tickets, and that includes STT.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/14/2020 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Whether or not the BVI is average isn’t going to improve tourism. To many if’s that there aren’t answers for.
We all know you can call a government agency 10 times for information on the laws and regulations and get ten different answers.

My only point was there are places that are harder so running somewhere else is limited. There are definitely easier places to go but there are also harder places to go. The BVI is finding a middle ground and it won't make everybody happy again but safety is an issue that is being strongly considered here. My guess is that by mid or late January most of the world will be back to not travelling. Trends are not looking good.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 02:53 AM

Ahoy Capt. Hill

Thank you for the thankless job you do moderating these forums.

Fair Winds, Brent from The Captains Compass
Posted By: toast

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 01:20 PM

Cannot wait to come back Jason. I am glad it is not too easy or it would be overrun.....

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 01:57 PM

Brent--thanks

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 02:04 PM

Thanks , Yes I do call in advance. Miami is the only airport that I use a wheelchair. So much walking.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 03:40 PM

Yes, Miami is a VERY long walk, in addition to Atlanta. Atlanta is probably longer, if you are connecting internationally.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 10:43 PM

Thorsten, are you looking to get to your villa, or are you now looking to charter a yacht ?

A travel agent might help you keep different requirements separate in your mind, and when you are ready, do all the requesting of airline services on your behalf and make flight reservations, too.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/15/2020 11:12 PM

Thorsten, can you fly out of Fort Lauderdale? According to Google Flights, there are flights in December to Beef Island for well under $200 on Jet Blue. You won't have to handle your baggage and it's just a short taxi to Trellis for the ferry.

I feel you on going through STT, which is why we don't do it. Your other option is the afternoon Cape Air flight from STT to EIS for $175 in December.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 03:43 AM

Took a look on Jet Blue out of FLL. Only found flights that go thru San Juan on puddle jumpers. no non-stop

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 03:53 AM

Took a look at MCO only spirit non-stop Not my favorite airline Took it once, very basic transportation. Took a look at PBI, FLL and MIa Only non-stop is Mia to STT Just no easy way to get to VG.

Since I am a million miler with AA, they give me me a perk of better seats and usually I can get seats with the middle seat empty by booking window and aisle.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Brent
Ahoy Capt. Hill

Thank you for the thankless job you do moderating these forums.

Yes, thank you Carol!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 02:11 PM

Ahoy Captains,

Here is a short checklist for a Caribbean Escape in the BVI, on a Yacht with No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics, that I am sharing with my Guests.
The testing and tracking are the 'new normal', short term I hope, if you want to travel most international destinations, and even many USA Destinations.
Please consider that the tests and tracking work both ways to protect You and your Family and Friends

Because rates are rising so fast in the USA your priority should be -
1. Stay Healthy
2. Please Stay Healthy
3. Find local sources for 3 Day PCR testing. This will change many times as rates rise in the USA. Try https://www.goodrx.com/blog/drive-thru-coronavirus-testing-near-me/#find-a-site
4. The App, when available, should take about a minute to download. Your anti-virus on your phone will automatically check it. It should take a few minutes to complete. It will be simple and similar to paperwork for chartering a Yacht. It is $175/person, but includes 2 more tests in the BVI (cheaper than private tests in the USA).
5. There is a Tracking App. It is less intrusive than Facebook or Google as it does not collect data on your Searches or Friends or Likes. Any teenager will be able to delete it, clear the history, and scrub your phone memory after your vacation.
6. 2 Weeks before your vacation you and your crew need to pro-actively 'socially simplify your life'.
7. 1 Week before your vacation you and your crew need to proactively confirm a test site with 3 day results. Order all your Provisions and Sporting Gear online for delivery to the Yacht.
https://www.rtwbvi.com/contact-us
https://bviwatertoys.com/
8. Within 3 Days submit your PCR Test results and complete your App details. Consolidate a Go Bag with hard copies of your tests, flight info, and Gov ID.
9. Get to the airport early as most flights do not have pre-flight check in now. Seriously, Please, wear your mask over your Mouth And Nose, I have Family who work for an Airline.
10. When you arrive you will get a Day 1 test, already paid for as part of the App.
11. Straight to the Yacht and stay on the Yacht. Load your delivered Provisions and Sporting Gear. Briefings on the Yacht. Sorry, no shopping or dinning out for the first 4 days.
12. Depart on Day 1 or enjoy a Relaxing Sleepaboard and depart early Day 2. For Day 2 & 3 please Sail and Swim and Scuba and Windsurf throughout the BVI and then Overnight at one of the Quarantine Harbors (to be determined, but probably Norman, Peter, Cooper, Marina Cay). With No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics.
13. Day 4 sail to a harbor near one of the Re-Testing Sites (to be determined, but probably Virgin Gorda, Beef Island Airport, RoadTown, West End Sophers Hole, Great Harbor JVD). You will get a Day 4 test, already paid for as part of the App. Enjoy a celebratory ice cold Corona Extra beer.
14. Then you are Free to go Any Where and do Any Thing with No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics on your Yacht.
15. If you need another test to Re-Enter your Country, State, or County then the test is available at $70/Person (cheaper than a private test in the USA).
16. At the end of your charter beg for more time on the Yacht because after Everything in 2020 it feels like the best week of your life and you don't want to go back to the frozen masks and outdoor line ups.

"She said I can't go back to America soon, So goddamn cold it's gonna snow until June ...
Yeah, they're freezin' up in Buffalo stuck in their cars, And I'm lyin' here 'neath the sun and the stars ...
I hear it gets better, that’s what they say, as soon as we sail into Cane Garden Bay”
https://quitosbvi.com/webcam/

Posted By: captmonk

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 02:25 PM

This is the hard part...

3. Find local sources for 3 Day PCR testing.

Getting a test taken and results back then putting it thru the BVI Portal 48 hours prior to arrival only gives you 24 hours.
Not doable here unless I am understanding the rules wrong.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 02:40 PM

12: No also Anegada both in mooring fields and testing,seems you never makes it to Anegada

Also dining is available by contactless delivery to your yacht from your favourite restaurant in the mooring field if you wish as well as ice delivery.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by captmonk
This is the hard part...

Getting a test taken and results back then putting it thru the BVI Portal 48 hours prior to arrival only gives you 24 hours.

CAPTMONK - I agree, this seems to be the trickiest part, esp if your 72-hour window straddles a weekend. We found a place in DC that can accommodate us, Same Day Testing, $195$/ea. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 02:49 PM

Regarding 8.: within three days of EXACTLY what? Departure of flight landing in BVI (like Hawaii)? Arrival?
It takes us about 12 to 20 hours to get to the BVI from the West Coast, so timing the test will be critical.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrEZgoin
Regarding 8.: within three days of EXACTLY what? Departure of flight landing in BVI (like Hawaii)? Arrival?
It takes us about 12 to 20 hours to get to the BVI from the West Coast, so timing the test will be critical.

"within three days prior to arrival".
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 03:29 PM

I'm worried about the time between steps 13 and 14. Test turnaround time and false positive or real positive.
Posted By: captmonk

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Husker
Originally Posted by captmonk
This is the hard part...

CAPTMONK - I agree, this seems to be the trickiest part, esp if your 72-hour window straddles a weekend. We found a place in DC that can accommodate us, Same Day Testing, $195$/ea. Fingers crossed it all works out.

Good luck. I am still looking here but my hopes are dimming as we are going into another 3 week lockdown starting Weds. People are starting to panic again.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 04:42 PM

I found private testing in our neighborhood for $50, with 24-48 hour turnaround. However, it takes us 20 hours to get to the BVI. It's not clear how we will be able to pick up the results, upload them and make our flight, assuming we test negative.

From what I have read, the final test in the BVI is to be done four full days after arrival. So if you arrive Monday evening, you would be retested Friday evening. Not sure if you have to wait for negative results to move about, but it would make sense. So that would mean Saturday before you are clear.

The rules I saw posted also said boaters must stay within 30 feet of their boat, so no windsurfing or kayaking, it appears. There was mention of certain attractions which might be visited, so perhaps some remote beaches. We will see. Obviously people can't quarantine in populated areas.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 04:47 PM

Agreed Captmonk - panic was evident yesterday at all the larger food stores - full parking lots and, once again, no toilet paper......and we have a shortage of tests now to boot.

Comment on #12: The steering committee introduction video from 11/12 (https://www.facebook.com/BVIGovernment/posts/10158073116507945) indicates that you have to remain within 30 feet of your yacht. So that appears to prevent windsurfing and diving, among other things. Also, I thought it was four FULL days of Q, so if one arrives late in the day (say a 5:30 flight or late ferry), then days 2-5 would be Q and testing on day 6, with "release" on day 7 (presuming a 24 hour turnaround), correct?

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
Agreed Captmonk - panic was evident yesterday at all the larger food stores - full parking lots and, once again, no toilet paper......and we have a shortage of tests now to boot.

Comment on #12: The steering committee introduction video from 11/12 (https://www.facebook.com/BVIGovernment/posts/10158073116507945) indicates that you have to remain within 30 feet of your yacht. So that appears to prevent windsurfing and diving, among other things. Also, I thought it was four FULL days of Q, so if one arrives late in the day (say a 5:30 flight or late ferry), then days 2-5 would be Q and testing on day 6, with "release" on day 7 (presuming a 24 hour turnaround), correct?

The way the SteerCo video describes the days is arrival is Day 0, last test on morning of Day 4, release on morning of Day 5. So a Monday arrival (anytime) would mean test on Friday morning, release on Saturday morning.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 06:00 PM

Then only 3 full days of Q....so confusing. Still too much for us with a 7 day charter. Good luck to those still trying to get there!
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 07:21 PM

Is the wrist tracking device water proof?

1. All travellers for entry to the Territory, inclusive of all citizens, Belongers, permanent residents and work permit holders, will be required to pay for the traveller app, monitoring bracelet and the required two tests (entry and four-day) at a total charge of $175 per person. This is significant reduction from what was previously mentioned.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cwoody

I very much doubt there will be any. Probably just the app.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by cwoody

Yes they are.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 08:46 PM

Staying within 30 feet of boat.? So no snorkeling, no SUP, NO NO NO NO

This is going to worse than Irma!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deepcut

There is no capacity to enforce these restrictions. Once off the dock it will be a free for all. The BVI can't keep STT boats out of the territory much less police Covid boats that are quarantining.
Posted By: FrenchLaundry

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Deepcut

There is no capacity to enforce these restrictions. Once off the dock it will be a free for all. The BVI can't keep STT boats out of the territory much less police Covid boats that are quarantining.

I agree 100%. I am sorry, but this is comical.. Again, this reminds me of when the PM of Vietnam told everyone to wear helmets on their scooters. Ummm.. 3 million helmets short. This will be a free for all - my biggest concern is the craziness that will play out around the testing protocols. I foresee major organization, process, and supply chain issues. These are well-intentioned folks designing in a box with limited experience. Reality is their friend.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/16/2020 11:00 PM

STT charter boat just fined $20,000 for illegal entry,

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/17/2020 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by sleepychef

So are you suggesting the BVI is preventing the every day illegal traffic to and from STT by busting a charter boat? Come on....

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/17/2020 12:59 PM

So are you suggesting the BVI is preventing the every day illegal traffic to and from STT by busting a charter boat? Come on....

I doubt all the traffic is being stopped but a good number is. Having a heavy armed HMS Medway in the territory is a significant deterrent. Having heard about a shortage of some "supplies" on island is an indicator the traffic is at least significantly reduced.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/17/2020 02:08 PM

Jason--not exactly sure which 'supplies' you're talking about being in short supply, but that could perhaps be related to the recent arrest of the police officer? grin

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/17/2020 03:10 PM

Ahoy Captains,

Sorry, I won’t criticize my Neighbor for doing Everything Reasonable to help keep his Family and Friends all Safe and Healthy.
Sorry, I won’t criticize the use of Tests and Tracking for a few months. Those simple processes, and Masks and Distancing. Cheap, Simple, Safe and Unselfish.
Sorry, I won’t make this Political. Now is not the time in History to make a Profit on Bones. Especially against a Country wiped out by a Cat 5 Hurricane only 3 years ago.

There is a Storm coming.
Some of us will be into the harbor at 3PM and anchor at 6 to 1.
Some of you will be in at 6PM and try to anchor at 3 to 1 - inside the mooring field.
You know who you are.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 04:06 PM

As a serious STT local sailor can you give any more info on this - timing, any other details or website. Thanks!
[Even via private message.]

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by LocalSailor

As a serious STT local sailor can you give any more info on this - timing, any other details or website. Thanks!
[Even via private message.]

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/en/news/over-99k-go-fast-boat-seized-2-arrested
Posted By: kerry

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 05:40 PM

These are the Take aways from one of our Crewed Clearinghouses Managers in the BVI on some of the items the steering committee is saying:
Take Aways -
The so-called 4 day quarantine is disingenuous, visitors do not receive their "all clear" until the morning of the 6th day.
No non-BVI-based yachts will be allowed to charter inside the territory.
No "touch and go" check-in/check-outs will be allowed for yachts wishing to clear in and out at the same instance.
No day trips from St. Thomas/St. John allowed.
"Quarantine anchorages" will be throughout the BVI.
Vessels will be able to navigate between "quarantine anchorages" while on quarantine.
The "quarantine bubble" around each vessel is 30 ft from the yacht.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by kerry
These are the Take aways from one of our Crewed Clearinghouses Managers in the BVI on some of the items the steering committee is saying:
Take Aways -
The so-called 4 day quarantine is disingenuous, visitors do not receive their "all clear" until the morning of the 6th day.
No non-BVI-based yachts will be allowed to charter inside the territory.
No "touch and go" check-in/check-outs will be allowed for yachts wishing to clear in and out at the same instance.
No day trips from St. Thomas/St. John allowed.
"Quarantine anchorages" will be throughout the BVI.
Vessels will be able to navigate between "quarantine anchorages" while on quarantine.
The "quarantine bubble" around each vessel is 30 ft from the yacht.

Good info, Kerry. Do you know where one can find any required paperwork for BVI entry? Also, should the tracking app be downloaded prior to arrival? Thanks.
Posted By: kerry

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 08:23 PM

I don't believe the tracking app can be downloaded before arrival. The BVI is late with getting the Travel Portal up. On the 16th of November they said within the week.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 08:34 PM

Now they're saying Monday for the portal.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 08:36 PM

Monday 3rd November?

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/18/2020 09:42 PM

https://www.284media.com/local/2020...ll-be-launched-on-nov-23rd-says-premier/
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 01:25 PM

I considered trying to restart my canceled Dec trip but we are less than two weeks out and still don’t know the rules. That is a failure on the BVI government. How hard is it to give a firm time for release from quarantine and publish the anchorages allowed. How hard is it to say if you can swim, snorkel and scuba dive?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 01:47 PM

I'm in a similar position - I'd like to go but just don't trust that the BVI government will be ready for even the smallest trickle of tourist arrivals. And when the system fails it won't be government officials who suffer, but any tourists unlucky enough to get stuck between impossible requirements and sullen officials. Although they have stated that the official website software has already been used elsewhere, the fact that not even that is up and running yet is typical. I can just imagine a scenario where the site won't get finished in time and any arrivals will get turned back because they didn't register on the site 2 days before flying! I am going to let the system start functioning before flying out, and although I hope to enjoy some empty anchorages once I get freed of quarantine requirements I think I'll relocate the boat to an island nation which appreciates visitors somewhat more.

BTW, the protocols for boat owners don't seem to have been released yet. At least I can get nobody to give me any answers - be it the official government agencies involved or marinas/hotels such as Nanny Cay. Silence or "we don't know yet" on all fronts - and this 10 days before the nominal re-opening!

I would have thought that the flight fares would reflect the scarce demand, but United Airlines best price is over $4000 for economy from Europe and a 36 hour travel time. Air France/KLM via St. Martin is at 16 hours travel time and $800 round trip. That's without the SXM-EIS flight portion.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I considered trying to restart my canceled Dec trip but we are less than two weeks out and still don’t know the rules. That is a failure on the BVI government. How hard is it to give a firm time for release from quarantine and publish the anchorages allowed. How hard is it to say if you can swim, snorkel and scuba dive?

Take a look at my link above from the Tourist Board. The SteerCo videos address most of these.

Quarantine release - after test results on morning of Day 4 with arrival day being Day 0. Most likely morning of Day 5.
Swim - yes, within 30 feet of boat
Snorkel - yes, within 30 feet of boat (which is mostly a no)
Dive - probably not due to 30 foot restriction
Anchorages - official list not released but SleepyChef indicated everywhere was fair game (see post above from 11/17)

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 02:37 PM

Which raises another point: snorkeling should probably be limited to sites with mooring balls. Otherwise the 30 foot rule provides an incentive to anchor on the reef. I wonder if that has occurred to anyone.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 03:17 PM

I need to understand something. I assume the bracelet communicates with the smartphone. If the smartphone is in a villa or on a yacht. How far can the bracelet communicate with the smartphone ? What happens if the smartphone is turned off. Can the bracelet determine where you are if you are in the water with a scuba tank? I understand that a resort allows folks to move about the entire resort. Thinking of Oil Nut Bay maybe a mile or so. How does that work?

How does the bracelet work in a villa. I have about 1/2 mile of land can I move about on the land? Or in the water?
Thanks

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 03:32 PM

From what I've seen, you need to keep your smartphone turned on and with you. I'm fairly certain it's a "bluetooth low energy" connection between the smartphone and bracelet which technically has 160ft range but it sounds like the govt. is conservatively saying 30ft around a boat which would support the 160ft range. It's the smartphone that determines location; the bracelet is required to make sure you keep your smartphone within 30ft of your person.

You could move around your property as long as you carry your smartphone.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 04:25 PM

From my personal experience 2 weeks ago: I arrived through a private IslandBirds charter from San Juan on a Friday afternoon. I was then taxied from Beef Island to Peebles to get tested because the testing facility at the airport was not ready (and based upon the construction progress, I don't see how it will be ready by December 1st). I will say, the testing at Peebles was incredibly efficient and fast. Granted, there was only 7 of us and not 50 or however many would be on a larger flight. But they had the 7 of us in, tested and out in 15 minutes flat.

I then had a 4 day quarantine where I was not allowed to leave the quarantine residence. On the morning of Day 4 (which was Tuesday. So Saturday Day 1, Sunday Day 2, Monday Day 3, Tuesday Day 4) I went and got my Day 4 Test at the Clinic on VG at 10:30am.

I received my all-clear release certificate at noon on Wednesday (Day 5) and am now free to move about the territory.

There was no mention at all of any bracelet or tracking app and there has been no mention of any tracking bracelet or smartphone for anyone else (who I have talked to) who has entered through the Beef Island airport since I did.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
From my personal experience 2 weeks ago: I arrived through a private IslandBirds charter from San Juan on a Friday afternoon. I was then taxied from Beef Island to Peebles to get tested because the testing facility at the airport was not ready (and based upon the construction progress, I don't see how it will be ready by December 1st). I will say, the testing at Peebles was incredibly efficient and fast. Granted, there was only 7 of us and not 50 or however many would be on a larger flight. But they had the 7 of us in, tested and out in 15 minutes flat.

I then had a 4 day quarantine where I was not allowed to leave the quarantine residence. On the morning of Day 4 (which was Tuesday. So Saturday Day 1, Sunday Day 2, Monday Day 3, Tuesday Day 4) I went and got my Day 4 Test at the Clinic on VG at 10:30am.

I received my all-clear release certificate at noon on Wednesday (Day 5) and am now free to move about the territory.

There was no mention at all of any bracelet or tracking app and there has been no mention of any tracking bracelet or smartphone for anyone else (who I have talked to) who has entered through the Beef Island airport since I did.

Great information. How did you get to VG after your test at Peebles?
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 05:54 PM

Government approved transport. Which ended up being a 40ft cigarette boat with twin racing 300 mercury's on the back lol. Tbh I was a little surprised the boat stopped on VG and didn't just keep going to St. Maarteen....

I throughly enjoyed the ride, but I don't know if all tourists visiting the BVI would feel the same way.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
Government approved transport. Which ended up being a 40ft cigarette boat with twin racing 300 mercury's on the back lol. Tbh I was a little surprised the boat stopped on VG and didn't just keep going to St. Maarteen....

I throughly enjoyed the ride, but I don't know if all tourists visiting the BVI would feel the same way.

LOL. That is awesome! It sounds like the government has already started the new protocols for arriving residents... Great news for you instead of the 14 day quarantine!
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/19/2020 08:56 PM

That is good news - just lost out on a two month rental due to fears about landing in EIS vrs VG and all the testing.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/20/2020 04:48 PM

So the smartphone needs cellular connection(or does it need internet connection) not just Wifi. I just use WiFi in the BVI and do not have a cell connection. or does the smartphone remember where you were and send the information out when it connects to the internet. A large part of my property has no cell connection, out of range of tower. Then what.

Does every person have to have a separate smartphone in a guest group. So 8 adults and 4 children, all need smartphones and connections?

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols - 11/20/2020 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by tpcook
So the smartphone needs cellular connection(or does it need internet connection) not just Wifi. I just use WiFi in the BVI and do not have a cell connection. or does the smartphone remember where you were and send the information out when it connects to the internet. A large part of my property has no cell connection, out of range of tower. Then what.

Does every person have to have a separate smartphone in a guest group. So 8 adults and 4 children, all need smartphones and connections?

Yes, everyone needs their own smartphone, app, and bracelet. I can't find the reference but in one of the press conferences, it was mentioned a wifi connection is enough and the phone will store location data when it is offline and update when reconnected.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline