pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, blooming, knitsoftwear, xrayman67, Brian&Andi, Fran, camview, luvtotravel, cabokid, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, jazzgal, ohstate, 8 invisible), 961 guests, and 67 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #240229
11/19/2020 09:25 AM
11/19/2020 09:25 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
I considered trying to restart my canceled Dec trip but we are less than two weeks out and still don’t know the rules. That is a failure on the BVI government. How hard is it to give a firm time for release from quarantine and publish the anchorages allowed. How hard is it to say if you can swim, snorkel and scuba dive?

BVI Sponsors
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #240234
11/19/2020 09:47 AM
Grenada
Zanshin Offline
Traveler
Zanshin  Offline
Traveler
Grenada
I'm in a similar position - I'd like to go but just don't trust that the BVI government will be ready for even the smallest trickle of tourist arrivals. And when the system fails it won't be government officials who suffer, but any tourists unlucky enough to get stuck between impossible requirements and sullen officials. Although they have stated that the official website software has already been used elsewhere, the fact that not even that is up and running yet is typical. I can just imagine a scenario where the site won't get finished in time and any arrivals will get turned back because they didn't register on the site 2 days before flying! I am going to let the system start functioning before flying out, and although I hope to enjoy some empty anchorages once I get freed of quarantine requirements I think I'll relocate the boat to an island nation which appreciates visitors somewhat more.

BTW, the protocols for boat owners don't seem to have been released yet. At least I can get nobody to give me any answers - be it the official government agencies involved or marinas/hotels such as Nanny Cay. Silence or "we don't know yet" on all fronts - and this 10 days before the nominal re-opening!

I would have thought that the flight fares would reflect the scarce demand, but United Airlines best price is over $4000 for economy from Europe and a 36 hour travel time. Air France/KLM via St. Martin is at 16 hours travel time and $800 round trip. That's without the SXM-EIS flight portion.

[Linked Image]
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: GeorgeC1] #240235
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I considered trying to restart my canceled Dec trip but we are less than two weeks out and still don’t know the rules. That is a failure on the BVI government. How hard is it to give a firm time for release from quarantine and publish the anchorages allowed. How hard is it to say if you can swim, snorkel and scuba dive?

Take a look at my link above from the Tourist Board. The SteerCo videos address most of these.

Quarantine release - after test results on morning of Day 4 with arrival day being Day 0. Most likely morning of Day 5.
Swim - yes, within 30 feet of boat
Snorkel - yes, within 30 feet of boat (which is mostly a no)
Dive - probably not due to 30 foot restriction
Anchorages - official list not released but SleepyChef indicated everywhere was fair game (see post above from 11/17)

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #240238
11/19/2020 10:37 AM
11/19/2020 10:37 AM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
Which raises another point: snorkeling should probably be limited to sites with mooring balls. Otherwise the 30 foot rule provides an incentive to anchor on the reef. I wonder if that has occurred to anyone.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #240241
11/19/2020 11:17 AM
11/19/2020 11:17 AM
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound...
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
I need to understand something. I assume the bracelet communicates with the smartphone. If the smartphone is in a villa or on a yacht. How far can the bracelet communicate with the smartphone ? What happens if the smartphone is turned off. Can the bracelet determine where you are if you are in the water with a scuba tank? I understand that a resort allows folks to move about the entire resort. Thinking of Oil Nut Bay maybe a mile or so. How does that work?

How does the bracelet work in a villa. I have about 1/2 mile of land can I move about on the land? Or in the water?
Thanks

tpcook
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #240242
11/19/2020 11:32 AM
11/19/2020 11:32 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
From what I've seen, you need to keep your smartphone turned on and with you. I'm fairly certain it's a "bluetooth low energy" connection between the smartphone and bracelet which technically has 160ft range but it sounds like the govt. is conservatively saying 30ft around a boat which would support the 160ft range. It's the smartphone that determines location; the bracelet is required to make sure you keep your smartphone within 30ft of your person.

You could move around your property as long as you carry your smartphone.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #240248
11/19/2020 12:25 PM
11/19/2020 12:25 PM
Virgin Gorda, BVI
V
VirginGordaResident Offline
Traveler
VirginGordaResident  Offline
Traveler
V
Virgin Gorda, BVI
From my personal experience 2 weeks ago: I arrived through a private IslandBirds charter from San Juan on a Friday afternoon. I was then taxied from Beef Island to Peebles to get tested because the testing facility at the airport was not ready (and based upon the construction progress, I don't see how it will be ready by December 1st). I will say, the testing at Peebles was incredibly efficient and fast. Granted, there was only 7 of us and not 50 or however many would be on a larger flight. But they had the 7 of us in, tested and out in 15 minutes flat.

I then had a 4 day quarantine where I was not allowed to leave the quarantine residence. On the morning of Day 4 (which was Tuesday. So Saturday Day 1, Sunday Day 2, Monday Day 3, Tuesday Day 4) I went and got my Day 4 Test at the Clinic on VG at 10:30am.

I received my all-clear release certificate at noon on Wednesday (Day 5) and am now free to move about the territory.

There was no mention at all of any bracelet or tracking app and there has been no mention of any tracking bracelet or smartphone for anyone else (who I have talked to) who has entered through the Beef Island airport since I did.

Last edited by VirginGordaResident; 11/19/2020 12:26 PM.
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: VirginGordaResident] #240251
11/19/2020 12:30 PM
11/19/2020 12:30 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
From my personal experience 2 weeks ago: I arrived through a private IslandBirds charter from San Juan on a Friday afternoon. I was then taxied from Beef Island to Peebles to get tested because the testing facility at the airport was not ready (and based upon the construction progress, I don't see how it will be ready by December 1st). I will say, the testing at Peebles was incredibly efficient and fast. Granted, there was only 7 of us and not 50 or however many would be on a larger flight. But they had the 7 of us in, tested and out in 15 minutes flat.

I then had a 4 day quarantine where I was not allowed to leave the quarantine residence. On the morning of Day 4 (which was Tuesday. So Saturday Day 1, Sunday Day 2, Monday Day 3, Tuesday Day 4) I went and got my Day 4 Test at the Clinic on VG at 10:30am.

I received my all-clear release certificate at noon on Wednesday (Day 5) and am now free to move about the territory.

There was no mention at all of any bracelet or tracking app and there has been no mention of any tracking bracelet or smartphone for anyone else (who I have talked to) who has entered through the Beef Island airport since I did.

Great information. How did you get to VG after your test at Peebles?

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #240262
11/19/2020 01:54 PM
11/19/2020 01:54 PM
Virgin Gorda, BVI
V
VirginGordaResident Offline
Traveler
VirginGordaResident  Offline
Traveler
V
Virgin Gorda, BVI
Government approved transport. Which ended up being a 40ft cigarette boat with twin racing 300 mercury's on the back lol. Tbh I was a little surprised the boat stopped on VG and didn't just keep going to St. Maarteen....

I throughly enjoyed the ride, but I don't know if all tourists visiting the BVI would feel the same way.

Last edited by VirginGordaResident; 11/19/2020 01:54 PM.
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: VirginGordaResident] #240263
11/19/2020 02:05 PM
11/19/2020 02:05 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
Government approved transport. Which ended up being a 40ft cigarette boat with twin racing 300 mercury's on the back lol. Tbh I was a little surprised the boat stopped on VG and didn't just keep going to St. Maarteen....

I throughly enjoyed the ride, but I don't know if all tourists visiting the BVI would feel the same way.

LOL. That is awesome! It sounds like the government has already started the new protocols for arriving residents... Great news for you instead of the 14 day quarantine!

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #240270
11/19/2020 04:56 PM
11/19/2020 04:56 PM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
That is good news - just lost out on a two month rental due to fears about landing in EIS vrs VG and all the testing.

GordaGuy2
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #240321
11/20/2020 12:48 PM
11/20/2020 12:48 PM
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
So the smartphone needs cellular connection(or does it need internet connection) not just Wifi. I just use WiFi in the BVI and do not have a cell connection. or does the smartphone remember where you were and send the information out when it connects to the internet. A large part of my property has no cell connection, out of range of tower. Then what.

Does every person have to have a separate smartphone in a guest group. So 8 adults and 4 children, all need smartphones and connections?

Last edited by tpcook; 11/20/2020 12:58 PM.

tpcook
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: tpcook] #240331
11/20/2020 01:58 PM
11/20/2020 01:58 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by tpcook
So the smartphone needs cellular connection(or does it need internet connection) not just Wifi. I just use WiFi in the BVI and do not have a cell connection. or does the smartphone remember where you were and send the information out when it connects to the internet. A large part of my property has no cell connection, out of range of tower. Then what.

Does every person have to have a separate smartphone in a guest group. So 8 adults and 4 children, all need smartphones and connections?

Yes, everyone needs their own smartphone, app, and bracelet. I can't find the reference but in one of the press conferences, it was mentioned a wifi connection is enough and the phone will store location data when it is offline and update when reconnected.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3