Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Bernd, kaba, SURICK, Michel_Benarrosh, Kennys, tradewinds, JeanneB, steve74, SacoFrank, blooming, SXMScubaman, RonDon, eightzerobits, bailau, WCHam, Kevin_B, KirkB, Lucky13, LINNY, CaribbeanCanadians, GaryC, Swifty, pandpfromcanada, 11 invisible), 1,029 guests, and 62 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols #239457
11/11/2020 11:21 AM
11/11/2020 11:21 AM
The Beautiful BVI
B
Brent Offline OP
Traveler
Brent  Offline OP
Traveler
B
The Beautiful BVI
Ahoy Captains,

Yachts may ‘quarantine’ Off The Dock, with tests only on arrival and a 4th day, at a total cost of $175/person. You can get retested for $70/person. Free shore based ‘quarantine’.
Please consider this works Both Ways, to insure You and your Family and Friends are Safe and Sound for your Caribbean Escape.

From the Hon Fahie Premier of the BVI
https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/rem...ourable-andrew-fahie-phase-iii-reopening
Here are the New Protocols for travelling to the BVI.
1. All travellers for entry to the Territory, inclusive of all citizens, Belongers, permanent residents and work permit holders, will be required to pay for the traveller app, monitoring bracelet and the required two tests (entry and four-day) at a total charge of $175 per person. This is significant reduction from what was previously mentioned.
2. Cabinet also agreed that travellers or other persons will be charged $125 for any tampering or damage to the monitoring bracelet.
3. Cabinet also agreed travellers requiring a test from a government facility to facilitate exit from the Territory will be charged seventy dollars ($70.00) per test; and
4. Cabinet also agreed for the first three months, from 1st December, 2020 until 28th February, 2021, the cost of quarantine in a Government approved property will be met by the Government of the Virgin Islands only for the following categories of persons: citizens, Belongers, permanent residents and work permit holders, exclusive of meals.

And further clarification from the Hon Malone Minister of Health –
https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/sta...nt-honourable-carvin-malone-tuesday-10th
1. Cabinet decided that Phase III Testing Protocol, as amended, which requires certified RT-PCR testing at various intervals and sites for all arriving travellers in order to manage the risk of COVID-19 transmission while reducing quarantine requirements during the incubation period for the disease as follows:
2. Testing and quarantine protocols apply to all travellers inclusive of Tourists, Residents, Belongers and Work Permit holders;
3. Cabinet decided that all travellers will be required to download the approved app and must be issued a Travel Certificate;
4. Cabinet decided that the following tests will be required:
5. A Certified RT-PCR COVID-19 negative test within five days prior to arrival for all travellers from low risks countries; and within three days prior to arrival for all travellers from medium and high risks countries.
6. A test on arrival, which if negative, allows controlled movement within the confines of an approved property; and
6. A test after 4 complete days of quarantine, which if negative, allows movement within the Territory.
7. Cabinet decided that a traveller who tests positive before arrival will not be allowed to enter the Virgin Islands;
8. Cabinet decided that a positive test at any stage upon arrival will require fourteen (14) days quarantine; and for the avoidance of doubt
9. To allow a mandatory quarantine period of four (4) days within the confines of an approved property or vessel.
10. Cabinet further decided that the Protocol for Vessel Arrivals will require certified RT-PCR testing and provide for quarantine accommodations aboard vessels as well as restricted movement within Territorial waters as follows:
11. Four (4) days quarantine will be undertaken on the vessels at mooring sites to be approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration;
12. Cabinet decided that vessels will be able to move within territorial waters during the quarantine period but they may only moor at approved sites as approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration;

Here are News reports –
https://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=32144
https://bvinews.com/govt-reduces-cost-of-covid-accessories-for-all-travellers/
http://www.virginislandsnewsonline....app-bracelet-covid-19-tests-to-175-total

For those of you with Shore based assets and businesses, this opens the door, perhaps within weeks, for the opening of land based tourism.
I understand this is the InterWebs and therefore designed for a ‘race to the bottom’. I understand this Virus has side effects such as financial and mental health crisis. Maybe, please, we can not sabotage this specific thread with conspiracy theories and wild suspicions regarding the conditions in the BVI. I do not think it reflects well on those few of you, especially those with assets in the BVI, who continue to push your bad attitudes based on bad rumors, especially if your glass house is located in a high risk area. The BVI is taking a Huge Gamble to open it’s borders.
No 8th day test, no 2 week quarantine, no virus insurance, no guards, no quarantine on the dock. With virus outbreaks in Sept the BVI Gov imposed a curfew, not a quarantine.
Open Dec 1 at the Airport, and ferries by mid-Dec.
Some of the cheapest yachting and airfare prices in decades.

On a 2017 Leopard 45 with 4 Doubles and 1 Single and 5 Bathrooms and AirCon and a GenSet from Dec 19 to Jan 2 for 14 Nights for $14k.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass

BVI Sponsors
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239459
11/11/2020 11:33 AM
11/11/2020 11:33 AM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
As a mere charter guest, who can only embark on an 8 day charter due to time constraints, these changes to the protocols do not move our travel needle. While I understand the BVI's need to protect citizens, I do not consider undergoing three tests (including the one taken before travel), stressfully waiting for test results, being tracked, and limited movement, a vacation. For yacht and property owners and those with the luxury of time, perhaps it can be workable. I also want to point out that COVID insurance is indeed required in the new protocols (the note above indicates it is not) as is downloading their app which has security questions. I wish the BVI and associated businesses well. We will return when we feel we can enjoy our time there more fully, knowing it may very well be far into the future.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239462
11/11/2020 11:36 AM
11/11/2020 11:36 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
They did mention during the question section of the announcement that insurance is required. Did you hear otherwise?

There was no mention of being able to leave the docks during quarantine. The mention of designated mooring areas was specific to arriving yachts. Did you hear something else?

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239465
11/11/2020 12:08 PM
11/11/2020 12:08 PM
Colorado and Sailing the World
Maria_and_Steve Offline
Traveler
Maria_and_Steve  Offline
Traveler
Colorado and Sailing the World
Thank you for posting this!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Maria_and_Steve] #239467
11/11/2020 12:21 PM
11/11/2020 12:21 PM
Bay Area
H
Husker Offline
Traveler
Husker  Offline
Traveler
H
Bay Area
This looks promising! Thanks for posting, Brent. Do you know if there will be a testing station at the airport?

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Husker] #239469
11/11/2020 12:38 PM
The Beautiful BVI
B
Brent Offline OP
Traveler
Brent  Offline OP
Traveler
B
The Beautiful BVI
Ahoy Captains,

9. To allow a mandatory quarantine period of four (4) days within the confines of an approved property or vessel.
11. Four (4) days quarantine will be undertaken on the vessels at mooring sites to be approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration
12. Cabinet decided that vessels will be able to move within territorial waters during the quarantine period but they may only moor at approved sites

I would hope that there would be access to testing, for more than just flight arrivals, at the Beef Island Airport.
But I would put a reef in the sail on that, as they say Hope is Not a Plan.
And, within walking distance, the new Loose Mongoose in Trellis Bay now offers fuel/water and the opportunity to load pre-ordered provisions at the dock.
However, the location in VG might have the least traffic, either VGYH or Leverick, and both have fuel/water/provisioning.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239470
ski2play Offline
Traveler
ski2play  Offline
Traveler
Thanks Brent!

The fluidness of this situation across the globe is a tough situation to manage.

And 100% agreed that the negative attitudes (and "poor me" declarations) are not helpful. Especially when they offer nothing constructive in the way of a workable solution to move forward.

These revised protocols give those of us will land based assets a better framework to get moving to keep our beloved locals and tourist safe.

We look forward to welcoming guest back to Sandy Ground Estates!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239472
11/11/2020 12:46 PM
11/11/2020 12:46 PM
road town
sleepychef Offline
Traveler
sleepychef  Offline
Traveler
road town
Horizon giving the first 4 days of quarantine free for 14 dys+ bookings

https://www.facebook.com/HYCBVI

Last edited by sleepychef; 11/11/2020 12:46 PM.
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239473
11/11/2020 12:57 PM
11/11/2020 12:57 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by Brent
Ahoy Captains,

11. Four (4) days quarantine will be undertaken on the vessels at mooring sites to be approved by the Minister for Health and Social Development in consultation with the Minister for Natural Resources, Labour and Immigration;

I would hope that there would be access to testing, for more than just flight arrivals, at the Beef Island Airport.
But I would put a reef in the sail on that, as they say Hope is Not a Plan.
And the new Loose Mongoose now offers fuel/water and the opportunity to load pre-ordered provisions at the dock.
Whatever the location in VG might have the least traffic, either VGYH or Leverick. Both have fuel/water/provisioning.

Fair Winds, Brent from the Captains Compass.

Your points 9 and 11 are part of section ii of the updated re-entry protocols and are for "vessel arrivals". I assumed that was for cruisers entering on their own boats. Does "vessel arrivals" apply to BVI charters too?

Last edited by JasonHelmbrecht; 11/11/2020 01:00 PM.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239490
11/11/2020 02:15 PM
11/11/2020 02:15 PM
Bucks County, Pa.
toast Offline
Traveler
toast  Offline
Traveler
Bucks County, Pa.
Thank you Brent for your fair and balanced appeal, we all want to be safe and enjoy our favorite place again...

Toast.......to Life; White Bay...heaven on earth.
Diane
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239498
11/11/2020 04:32 PM
11/11/2020 04:32 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
I can’t see spending my money to be put into quarantine for four days and have to pay for an app that spies on you.
I guess there are some people who like to be spanked and told how they must behave.
There are other places to travel to

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239501
11/11/2020 04:38 PM
11/11/2020 04:38 PM
Florida
theKurp Offline
Traveler
theKurp  Offline
Traveler
Florida
Still unworkable for a 7-day charter.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239505
11/11/2020 05:19 PM
11/11/2020 05:19 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
The testing and costs are fair, and a great improvement.

The app is a big concern: security and video wise. The same people are developing the portal, which still doesn't have a date. Not folks I really want to have sensitive information.

Called both the Tourist Board and Health Dept. this afternoon, and neither one knows how our house would get inspected or how we could get out there. Our neighbor sent letters to three government department, none of which responded.

As far as boaters, will they really be willing to stay off land for four full days? If Marina Cay is one of the approved mooring fields, I can see folks using our private docks - a perennial problem - or hiking around private property.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239519
11/11/2020 09:08 PM
11/11/2020 09:08 PM
The Beautiful BVI
B
Brent Offline OP
Traveler
Brent  Offline OP
Traveler
B
The Beautiful BVI
Ahoy Captains,

I understand there is an outstanding issue regarding ‘The Good Ole’ Days’.
It is ironic, that maybe the closest We can get to Those Days, for the next few years, with No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics, will be on a Yacht in the BVI.
And all it takes are a few simple precautions to protect You and your Family and Friends.
My main concern now is the health of my Guests before they arrive. I fear as the Hurricane Season ends in the Caribbean that a Viral Cat 5 Hurricane Season will hit North America without those same precautions.
I hope every TTOL Member and their Family and Friends will use every resource to stay healthy.

#10 “The Protocol for Vessel Arrivals will require certified RT-PCR testing”.
Yachts can’t be the subject of a PCR test. Inductively, I would assume, therefore making an ‘[censored]’ of myself, that this is a declarative sentence with Arrivals as the subject and Vessel as the predicate, without getting into NewSpeak.
Sorry, not arriving yachts, but Individuals arriving associated with a vessel need tests, then out for 4 days sailing around the Sunny Caribbean with probably the channel islands for the first few nights, then a quick test, and grab a cold six pack from the beach bar, and It’s a Pirate’s Life!
Maybe some of the land based business can network with an entrepreneurial yacht charter business and offer a ½ Surf & ½ Turf Vacation to generate cash flow in the short term, hopefully opening more opportunities for both.

Went into BVI Gov Environmental Health today. They confirmed that Bareboat and Crewed Yachts can leave the dock to ‘quarantine’ with No Masks and No Distancing. And they are due in tomorrow to ‘Gold Certify’ my business.
Thank you for the compliments.
Sorry to the same few with the same old problems.

Lots of new friends with the same old problems, Open your eyes, You might see
If our lives were that simple, We'd live in the past, If the phone doesn't ring, It's me
If the phone doesn't ring, You'll know that it's me, I'll be out in the eye of the storm … (Literally with Cat 5 Irma)
If the phone doesn't ring, You know that I'll be, Where someone can make me feel warm
It's too bad we can't turn, And live in the past, If the phone doesn't ring, It's me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Oh7NVuwEk

Fair Winds, Brent from The Captains Compass.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239521
11/11/2020 09:22 PM
11/11/2020 09:22 PM
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Offline
Traveler
NCSailor  Offline
Traveler
N
Charlotte, NC
Even with these changes the BVI will see 5% of the usual charters, if that. It's just not worth the hassle and expense. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing. The BVI can't even get the ferry system to run well. This Covid protocol is way beyond the government's ability to manage.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239523
11/11/2020 09:28 PM
11/11/2020 09:28 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Bret the Good Ole days might be gone in your mind but don’t judge the rest of us on your Pessimistic logic.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239533
11/12/2020 07:49 AM
11/12/2020 07:49 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
"It is ironic, that maybe the closest We can get to Those Days, for the next few years, with No Mask and No Distancing and No Politics, will be on a Yacht in the BVI."

No, it will be on a yacht in the USVI, with no tracking app, reasonable testing protocols, better health care in an emergency all in a US jurisdiction. Couple that with better airlift and the St John National park.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239535
11/12/2020 09:54 AM
11/12/2020 09:54 AM
Bay Area
H
Husker Offline
Traveler
Husker  Offline
Traveler
H
Bay Area
The USVIs are great. We've spent much time sailing around all the main islands, including St. Croix. Unfortunately for us, under the current situation, our boat is in the BVI. We've been holding our booking, originally over Thanksgiving, now the first couple weeks of December, hoping the protocols would settle down to something practical and reasonably safe. We now feel they have and the probability that we will actually go has increased from 10% to 90%. The cost for the testing and monitoring (whatever boondoggle that ends up being) is now reasonable for a two-week trip.
Hope to see some of you TTOL'ers out on the water soon.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: NCSailor] #239538
11/12/2020 10:16 AM
11/12/2020 10:16 AM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Originally Posted by sail445
I can’t see spending my money to be put into quarantine for four days and have to pay for an app that spies on you.
I guess there are some people who like to be spanked and told how they must behave.
There are other places to travel to

Originally Posted by NCSailor
Even with these changes the BVI will see 5% of the usual charters, if that. It's just not worth the hassle and expense. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing. The BVI can't even get the ferry system to run well. This Covid protocol is way beyond the government's ability to manage.

The BVI government is committing suicide while we standby watching. Damage is worse than hurricanes.
I feel badly for boat owners as the government hold their boats hostage.

We won’t be back, too big of a world to see.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239551
11/12/2020 12:28 PM
11/12/2020 12:28 PM
Okla
ScurvyD Offline
Traveler
ScurvyD  Offline
Traveler
Okla
Do we even know if you can arrive to Tortola by ferry????

I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: ScurvyD] #239552
11/12/2020 12:29 PM
11/12/2020 12:29 PM
Redmond, WA
MrEZgoin Offline
Traveler
MrEZgoin  Offline
Traveler
Redmond, WA
Originally Posted by ScurvyD
Do we even know if you can arrive to Tortola by ferry????

Starting December 8th according to latest information.

M4000 "Lio Kai"
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239562
11/12/2020 02:07 PM
11/12/2020 02:07 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Love to hear any info about ferry service coming in December..

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239570
11/12/2020 03:17 PM
11/12/2020 03:17 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Well, when we go, we cook on the boat about half the time. I don't mind making that half be the first half. Remember the feel and smell of the Caribbean air and the water! It's like the fountain of youth! To me, 4 days straight on the boat in the BVI is the about the same as 8 days cruising the USVI (there ain't a lot to do there onshore by comparison) ... yes, I do really enjoy the beach-side cheeseburger and Painkiller establishments, plus North Sound and Anegada and Jost, I suppose I could go on and on!

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239621
11/13/2020 11:31 AM
11/13/2020 11:31 AM
road town
sleepychef Offline
Traveler
sleepychef  Offline
Traveler
road town

Last edited by sleepychef; 11/13/2020 01:34 PM.
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239636
11/13/2020 01:51 PM
11/13/2020 01:51 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
I think I saw Conch is offering ten for the price of seven.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239664
11/13/2020 05:19 PM
11/13/2020 05:19 PM
road town
sleepychef Offline
Traveler
sleepychef  Offline
Traveler
road town
Manpot, this is the committee dealing with everything perhaps they have the answer.

Attached Files e3a1d560-dc65-402a-8f9e-19e5f3acea55.jpg
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239673
11/13/2020 07:23 PM
11/13/2020 07:23 PM
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Thanks Peter...anxious to get home and via STT is always easier , more pleasant and cheaper for us from the Bay area..

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239678
11/13/2020 08:54 PM
11/13/2020 08:54 PM
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound...
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
This system is way to complicated. Not for me.

tpcook
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239696
11/14/2020 10:38 AM
11/14/2020 10:38 AM
road town
sleepychef Offline
Traveler
sleepychef  Offline
Traveler
road town

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: sleepychef] #239713
11/14/2020 01:13 PM
11/14/2020 01:13 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
I really don’t see what good news there is.
You arrive and have to stand in line for C&I then you have to wait in another line to be tested for COVET then your allowed to go into a 4 day quarantine if your test is negative, no information about you and say your family members if one person tests positive which can easily happen because the test aren’t that accurate.
They still want to track you even when the test is negative.
I don’t see how this makes your trip anything closely resembling a vacation.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: sail445] #239721
11/14/2020 02:05 PM
11/14/2020 02:05 PM
West Virgina
jrw Offline
Traveler
jrw  Offline
Traveler
West Virgina
Completely agree with Sail445! We’ve been sailing the BVI since 93. We’ll find somewhere else.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239727
11/14/2020 03:51 PM
11/14/2020 03:51 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
This spreadsheet summarizes the Eastern Caribbean entry protocols. There are 6 countries that do not even allow US residents to enter. Out of the rest, it looks like the BVI is about average on test, quarantine, and cost.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239728
11/14/2020 04:02 PM
11/14/2020 04:02 PM
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
I am sure some folks think I am bring negative. let me give you my travel day to the BVI

Get up around 4 AM Drive to Miami, about 2.5 hours. Park at the local hotel, bring my baggage to the shuttle. Shuttle takes me to the airport. Shuttle drops off about 500 ft from baggage area. Drag baggage across 6 lanes of traffic. Give to baggage clerk and get tickets. Find a wheelchair to use thru airport. Go thru TSA and finally after about 30 min get to the gate, Bring carryon onto aircraft and sit into seat. Takes about 2 hours to STT At Stt grab my carryon and myself down the rolling metal stairs . Walk to the main building and wait for my luggage to arrive.Pull luggage off the luggage carousel. Bring the luggage outside to the crowded taxis. Try and get inside the crowded taxis. Wiat 10-20 min for them to load up. Get to the ferry dock about 15 min latter.Lug the luggage to the ferry counter.Figure out which ferry to use.. Wait for the ferry. About 1-2 hours later get to roadtown. Stand in line to go thru customs and immigration (Also collect my luggage for the mound of luggage.)This takes 30 min to1 hour. Go thru covid test. Go thru paperwork. Wait for speedy ferry to bring me to VG. Finally I am on VG around 6PM , so over 14 hours of travel.

Now with covid there are additional steps. Trying to get a covid test within 3 days of travel. Trying to get insurance that works Trying to download the BVI documents.

Does this sound like a lot of fun to the beginning of a vacation.? No problem quarantining the first day. I am exhausted.

tpcook
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #239729
11/14/2020 04:12 PM
11/14/2020 04:12 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
This spreadsheet summarizes the Eastern Caribbean entry protocols. There are 6 countries that do not even allow US residents to enter. Out of the rest, it looks like the BVI is about average on test, quarantine, and cost.

Whether or not the BVI is average isn’t going to improve tourism. To many if’s that there aren’t answers for.
We all know you can call a government agency 10 times for information on the laws and regulations and get ten different answers.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: tpcook] #239730
11/14/2020 04:18 PM
11/14/2020 04:18 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
tpcook--not really a vacation so far, for sure, but hopefully from here, it's all downhill.

Carol Hill
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Carol_Hill] #239731
11/14/2020 04:20 PM
11/14/2020 04:20 PM
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
Hope you mean uphill!!

tpcook
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: tpcook] #239732
11/14/2020 04:26 PM
11/14/2020 04:26 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
No, I think I mean downhill. Downhill is easier than uphill, eh?

Carol Hill
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239736
11/14/2020 05:14 PM
11/14/2020 05:14 PM
Chester Springs, PA
bvibound Offline
Traveler
bvibound  Offline
Traveler
Chester Springs, PA
tpcook - you can arrange for a wheelchair at the airports when you purchase your tickets, and that includes STT.

Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: sail445] #239739
11/14/2020 07:19 PM
11/14/2020 07:19 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by sail445
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Whether or not the BVI is average isn’t going to improve tourism. To many if’s that there aren’t answers for.
We all know you can call a government agency 10 times for information on the laws and regulations and get ten different answers.

My only point was there are places that are harder so running somewhere else is limited. There are definitely easier places to go but there are also harder places to go. The BVI is finding a middle ground and it won't make everybody happy again but safety is an issue that is being strongly considered here. My guess is that by mid or late January most of the world will be back to not travelling. Trends are not looking good.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
Re: Very Good News for Yachting in the BVI with New Protocols [Re: Brent] #239750
11/14/2020 10:53 PM
11/14/2020 10:53 PM
The Beautiful BVI
B
Brent Offline OP
Traveler
Brent  Offline OP
Traveler
B
The Beautiful BVI
Ahoy Capt. Hill

Thank you for the thankless job you do moderating these forums.

Fair Winds, Brent from The Captains Compass

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3