This was posted today on a FB Group about working on your non-BVI registered boat:

This is confirmed via email with Keith from Nanny Cay. (US or otherwise) VESSELS not registered or licensed in the BVI: OWNERS (unpaid), or crew working on private/commercial--whatever/whichever are now required to have temporary work permits per persons workg on the boat. (you can do yourself to save $ applied for and issued by BVI Labour dept.) to do any work while hauled out in the yard (any BVI yard). The expedited permits (applied for via a business service on your behalf) are roughly $300/person, per permit and takes 48 hours to process via that business service (Keith's from Nanny Cay has contact info). You can do it yourself for a savings but it must be in person and it is a minimum 10-15 day lead time. I have contacted the Business licensing office and labor dept to inquire directly with no reply to any of my messages. The application is TOTALLY skewed toward BVI jobs hiring US employees (both scenarios not applicable for US citizen taking a boat to the BVI to do some personal UNPAID maintenance--not sure how this interpretation of the law is legal...) anyway, heads up boating community of the USVI. Please give feedback with any updates as this evolves. Would be great to band together to have a lobbying presence similar to the airline pilots. We need representation with issues like this.
Anyway the point of this post was not to complain as much as it is to INFORM so that boaters do not go check into the BVI, haul put etc only to find that they are slapped with a cease and desist and fined like some have been over the past several weeks. If you choose to go--be prepared ahead of time with permits for each working person (paid or not) aboard your boat. At least that is what I was told. Go direct to the source for confirmation. And this is evolving so what is true today may be different tomorrow. Just passing along what info I have right now....hope this helps others do what needs to get done ahead of arrival in prep--no surprises. Plan ahead if you choose to go.