HA: Was your dinghy actually displaying any type of light prior to or at the time of the collision?

SJ: No.

Not going to happen. We would and have turned lights on to signal any vessel approaching a collision course.

HA: Did you take any action in an attempt to avoid a collision?

SJ: Not initially, because my dinghy had the right-of-way as the stand-on vessel.

Never going to stand on "rights" in any anchorage at night. Too many do not know the rules, are intoxicated, distracted, not paying attention, blinded by various sources of light on their own vessel. We maintain a lookout and alter course when any vessel is approaching. We will and do you light if the course is anywhere near collision.

I understand a courtroom or protest can go in any direction. If I am found to not display a light some or even all the burdens may fall on me. We along with most of the more experienced practical sailors make the choice to use out night vision as the first line of defense and collision avoidance. Night be able to see because a well meaning passengers or guest aboard your boat with a poor light for the situation is the greatest danger.

If you have the correct lights certainly use them. I would never count on someone seeing me in any anchorage. Always attain adequate night vision and maintain at least one person with that vision. Never let a poorly skilled drunk help you out with a flashlight on your boat at night.

I do carry significant liability insurance to protect me and my family for any mistake someone else or any court thinks I have made. Since 1979 I have kept our launches at night from contact with other vessels. I believe you must be able to see them to avoid them. Most of the overloaded dinghy's moving through the anchorages are flying blind with their own poor use of lights. Once your night vision is established you will be amazed what you can see and have been missing trying to make use of the wrong lights in the past.

If you truly cannot see anything in the water 360 degrees around you? Maybe you should not be moving in anything as exposed as a dinghy. Failure to maintain a proper lookout!