Carol,

This is the one I use, and everyone loves it. I lived in Baltimore for 18 years, and got this recipe/method from a lady who had been making crab cakes for almost 60 years. It basic, but it's pure crab!

Crab Cakes

1 lb Jumbo Lump Crab
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Mayo
1 ½-2 tsp Old Bay
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
Plain Bread Crumbs-no not used seasoned.
1 Tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped fine
1 Tbsp Dry Sherry
Butter or Butter/olive oil
1-2 Cloves Garlic
Gently check crabmeat for shells, but don’t break up the lumps, and place in a med sized bowl. In a small bowl combine egg, mayo, parsley, Old Bay, dry sherry, and Worcestershire sauce. Add just enough egg mixture to barely hold the crab together, and then add just enough bread crumbs to just form a loose patty/cake. Every pound of crab will vary as far as moisture, and sometimes I only use about half of the egg mixture. The same with the bread crumbs, but just use as little as possible. Makes 4 large cakes.
You can fry, or broil the crab cakes.
To fry, start the heat very low and add a good amount of butter to a good skillet. Add the garlic, and let it cook on low for a couple of minutes, but don’t brown it. Remove from the pan, turn the heat to med high, and fry the crab cakes about 4 min on each side until browned. These may fall apart a little as there’s almost no filling, so be careful when turning.
To broil, I just melt the butter first, and let the garlic infuse, and then put about a tsp of butter on each crab cake just before broiling. When you flip the cakes over, add another tsp, and finish broiling. Broiling time should be about the same as skillet. Dust tops with Old Bay and serve w/lemon wedges.

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 05/07/2010 08:22 AM.