Overall safety in the Caribbean has dropped over the last 40 years. This includes Jamaica, Bahamas, USVI and SXM.

My observations are that 1) 40 years ago there was stronger governance by the mother country, U.K., France, netherlands, us. 2) folks were more content with their existence and economic situation, 3) early on the y welcomed the visitors and the jobs that came in hotels, taxis, etc.

Fast forward. Thr locals don't want the mother countries tight rein, The world is more sophisticated and connected. The kids on Sxm know what they do/don't have and they are impatient and decide to take things, they don't want to be cab drivers.

Also, there is a lot of immigration going on between the islands. A lot of Jamaicans I know on Sxm who have com for better life and opportunity. Sound familiar.

A year ago, a 70 something lady cabbie took us from airport to orient. Without prompting as we went thru Marigot lamented the crime and safety. She locks her doors at 7pm. She has a gun. She only goes out at night in groups for church night. She says the laws are against the law abiding residents and it is hard to defend yourself if you shoot an intruder. But one man she said was charged with shooting an intruder and the police said he should have run away. He told the judge was he supposed to run away and leave his wife and child for the intruders. The judge dismissed the case.

I'll end here with a scary moment in 2009 on the ferry from St. John, us i to red hook on st Thomas. We were up top enjoying a beautiful ride when a gang of 10'youths started badgering the uniformed ferry captain. It got quite vocal and heated. These"boys" had duffle bags and based on the back and forth i thing they had guns in them. It calmed down.........but I realized that at that moment innocent St. John which was our go to place before Sxm was not 1979 anymore.

You just have to be careful on vacation anywhere including Disney world and Orlando, which remains the only place we have had a gun pointed at us on vacation in a hotel.

Cheer up and be careful......don't be an easy target.