In terms of people born on each side, I do not think that the dutch-side is more conservative than the french-side with regard to what people wear or do not wear at the beach. Indeed, it is the french-side that has passed a specific local law making nudity illegal on french-side beaches, with the only specific exception being the Club Orient beach. I am unaware of any similar local law on the dutch-side, although maybe there is one about which I know nothing. Although toplessness is not considered "nudity" necessarily, they are related topics.

So, if a potential tourist is planning a trip to Sint Maarten and looks here for information about whether she can sunbath topless at Dawn beach, or any beach dutch-side, what is the local custom to which you refer? Is there a set local custom for Dawn or any other beach that you can provide in advance, or does it depend on who is on the beach doing what on any particular day?

(I limit my remarks both explicit and implicit to beaches - I am not referring to main streets or anywhere off of a beach. With regard to home towns, it kind of depends on where your home town is, would you not agree?)