Each dinghy and motor combination is different. Unless you take your time and really understand all the mechanics and loads? Most who try to tow with a dinghy will find the dinghy just goes sideways from the rotation load of the propeller and little mass or wetted surface of the dinghy. More weight, better positioned weight, a bridle, repositioning the tow line, adding thrust very slowly in a controlled manner done all together might make towing possible. MIGHT! Waves, wind, and panic... Well someone might get some good YouTube.

I would love to make some comment about not rushing away from the dock or cutting the checkout short... but, if the diesels operated all the way to North Sound I am not sure what most would have ever been able to uncover at the checkout dock.

Google the Dangers of the Lee Shore. Many of us are regularly in gross violation of the best safe practices near lee shores.

The degree of danger that is posed to your hull by a lee shore is directly proportional to the force of the wind and current that is pushing you toward it. If you misjudge this force and then lose power/control, you can be on the lee shore faster than you can anchor your boat.

Considering the inherent dangers of lee shores, a prudent skipper should never approach a lee shore closer than one-quarter mile, even in calm conditions, with greater distances recommended as the wind speed increases.

Stuff can happen anywhere on any boat. I line or other object in the water can shut most boats down in the blink of an eye. A sudden failure of the rudder or steering is very possible. The loads while reaching can be extreme even more so on a cat. Bad fuel can shut you down as soon as it get rough. The list goes on and on.

Next time you are out note the times you put your vessel near a lee shore where the chance of recovery is very small.