Winterstale said:
beerMe said:
A few years ago Island Yacht Charters lost one of their big sailboats on the East side of VG. Never got the straight story but the biggest issue was too close to a leeward shore. I promised myself right then I'd stop doing that! Several times when rounding Beef Island I've been surprised how close some others cut the corner.

With a power-only boat it might just be prolonging your agony. Bet you sure were glad when you felt that anchor grab! As steep as the hill is there I would have thought you'd have to be pretty darn close to get to 40' of water.

Thanks for posting, good job!

That was Aurora...an IP 485....and it was off of Coral Bay, St. John -- halyard fouled their prop - 6 rescued off the boat and the story goes....they went back to IYC and got on another IP......

Ah yes thanks for helping with my poor memory. I remember reading there was some talk that they had been warned by staff about a dragging line earlier - stuff like that. I thought they were motor sailing, one might have thought there was at least a chance of clawing their way off the shore. I can't believe Skip would give them another boat after that!

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!