SXMWendell said:
Being through a hurricane on island. Get off at all costs BEFORE it arrives. Don't make excuses of not leaving. Because after the hurricane/ storm your vacation is finished anyhow. If that is not possible, fill the car with gas, buy non perishable food to eat,buy a lot of bottled water, buy a multi band radio to listen to weather updates so you have an idea of whats going on, buy a couple of flashlights AND buy a lot of batteries to power them.

Even after the hurricane goes through you will not get on the next flight out. The airlines will put the persons from the canceled flights on empty seats available on the post flights leaving the island. And since most flights are full now days this could take a while to get off the island.

I was lucky enough to have a closet with concrete walls in the middle of the villa I was at to ride through the hurricane.

video here

Wendell

My unsolicited advice, to agree with but add to Wendell's post:

If power goes out, credit cards may not work, if you don't have cash, go to an ATM and get some now.

If power goes off for an extended period of time, then there will be no water pressure, which means no water! As Wendell said, buy bottled water now; but also, if you have a bathtub where you are staying, fill it with tap water now... you can use that water to put a bucket full in the toilet so it flushes! Without water, toilets do not flush, that can be a problem after a major storm.

Wendell mentions non perishable food. OK maybe a loaf of bread that will get mold after a few days.....
Don't forget peanut butter and crackers... you would be amazed how long you can live off of that. Maybe add some bananas and nuts....
you have to think no electricity which means no refrigeration. If you have a gas or charcoal grill, freeze some hamburgers or hot dogs to use later.

And as Wendell mentioned: flashlights and batteries.

That's my 2 cents worth, for all on island, be safe.

Rah Rah Rasputin
They put some poison into his wine
He drank it all and said "I feel fine"