Hmmm. That does not seem like something they might have done...however someone did mention in an earlier post about the resort closing down because of a labor dispute. That is true and was very real. About 4-5 years ago the resort was in turmoil, Pelican had become insolvent and after some legal wrangling Royal Resorts ended up taking up ownership of the resort. (I am condensing greatly here..and any past history should be saved for another thread...).

During the legal wrangling, receivership and ultimate change of ownership there was a labor dispute that caused the resort to shut down for a full month. I have no idea how they handled the affected owners but it was unfortunate and the ultimate status of resort was changing on a weekly basis. Royal now is the owner and I doubt your aunt will experience the same results.

Over the years various buildings have been shut down because Royal Resorts, after taking ownership, had started a renovation project that gutted each building. We were affected by that for two years but they always put us in another part of the resort. IN the end the overall status of the resort is GREATLY improved, units, staff and management.

Now, we technically "own" in January however we have shifted to the points system they offer and never really use our "week" and we choose to use those prime points for longer stays in the non prime times. We don't plan to visit the island soon, we are new parents, however I plan to wait about a month or two before I call Royal to figure out our options. They are probably still trying to figure things out and accommodating those who are immediately affected. At that time I will make sure I get a summary of our point status.

I also expect to see a bill for annual maintenance soon, and I am dreading to see if there may be assessment, I am hoping Royal Resort has proper insurance to cover major costs, unlike Pelican of old.

Finally I do remember seeing the 2nd week offer but they must have pulled that quick. I personally thought that was very generous and problematic because they still need to create a revenue stream to keep the resort running. Offering additional weeks for effectively six months of owner weeks would be huge loss of revenue.

Last edited by wabid; 09/21/2017 10:47 AM.

Never walk onto a job site with empty hands. - Source Unknown