I realize that this question/issue is absolutely insignificant compared to what residents are dealing with in the islands. I thought I would ask anyway. (Please don't take offense! We are making contributions to various groups and pursuing other ways to help.)

I am looking for some place online that shows the status and expected opening of the St Thomas airport. Its administered by the VI Port Authority, but the most recent info on their site is from Sept 5. I looked at FAA, TSA and googled the topic, but can't find anything authoritative. I found a statement on VI Yacht Charters site saying its closed until Sept 30.
https://www.virginislandsyachtcharters. ... IL-SEPT-30

The reason I am asking is so we can decide what to do with our AA tickets to STT on Oct 10 and return on Oct 20. The AA Customer Service Rep said STT is currently open for commercial flights. My understanding is that its only open for military & relief efforts, including mercy flights. I would love to get a refund and put the money towards relief efforts, but our tickets are non-refundable.

If the airport is still closed to commercial flights on Oct 10, our flight will be cancelled. I would hope in this case we will get a refund, but the CS Rep seemed unsure and gave me 2 different answers. My guess (based on what I've read) is that the airport may be open to commercial flights by then, but I think it will be unknown for a while.

We have a few options:
- Rebook with no change fee (per AA's current travel notice). We must commence travel by March 31 because that's the end of our ticket validity. Due to various medical and work commitments, we can only travel in Nov or Dec. I have the impression the islands may not even have power by Nov/Dec, nor be ready for visitors.

- Cancel our flights and use the value towards booking flights to a different destination. Still have to travel before Mar 31. Would have to pay change fees and ticket price difference.

In our 30+ years of travelling to the Caribbean in spring and fall, we've never had to cancel a trip, so this is new ground for us. Any input is welcome!

Note - Didn't buy trip insurance, but the insurance I was considering wouldn't help with this situation since the storms are long gone. Would only help if I had bought "cancel for any reason" type.

Thank you!