Angelface said:
So I wonder - if the people who need this relief want it to come in WITH conditions, is there anyway for them to force Marlin's hands? It's unbelievable that at a time like this, he's playing politics with relief funds. ALL relief funds come with strings and conditions.

He holds an elected office, so there's bound to be a way for the political process to run its course. How long can he continue to hold his ground in the face of his constituents, who are desperate for the aid? Who knows? Probably not very long would be my guess.

I am not at all surprised that he is making a lot of noise about this. As I mentioned, there is a democratic system of some sort, and the insistence on an "Accountability Commission" constitutes a vote of no confidence in him by the Netherlands. They are saying in a very direct way that they do not trust him to do what he has been elected to do. If he is as pure as the driven snow, this is patronizing and offensive. And if he isn't, he will lose the ability to deal the money out to his friends. For him, it's bad either way.

But the money talks, so there's no question how this ends. Just when.