I was debating with a friend the Pros and Cons of BVI chartering this spring and wanted some first hand opinions. We all know the Pros, that’s why this website exists, I just wanted some feeedback on his two cons...

1. Crime: He claims crime is up and even cited newly published murder rates. I find this a non issue, and slightly insulting, but having not been there recently, who knows? I would assume that even if true, it is obviously a human nature aspect given what the islands have been through, affecting locals only for the most part.

2. Payment options: According to “some” accounts, lines are still down and many places can’t run credit cards. This allegedly means one has to carry cash for incidentals, which we all know could run into the thousands for a crew of 4 to 8. It was said that traveling with that much cash can be uncomfortable, especially when you don’t know how much to bring.

Any thoughts?

This December will be our 7th BVI charter, we’ve never locked our boat while ashore and never locked our dinghy either, never had a problem.
I was told by a recent diver that the Rhône hull collapsed and you can’t swim through it anymore, can this be true?