These are very good points you are making, Hdrdr911. Some time ago I had a discussion with a woman online who was a strong advocate of 'required nudity' on the southern end of Orient Beach. She had issues with others in swimsuits entering this area and gawking at everyone. She even appealed to Club Orient to establish a policy requiring this (similar to some of the couples beaches in Jamaica). I prefer not to 'butt heads' with any one (no pun intended), but I told her I thought this would be a big mistake for several reasons.

First, most people just don't become nudists or go nude on a beach all at once. When people visit from cruise ships and take an excursion to Orient Beach I would assume that many of them know what the standards are on this beach. It's natural human curiosity to observe something they have never seen in the past. Many people won't venture south of the rocks, but many others do. Some people will do this one time and be done with it, while others will want to give the 'natural look' a try. And, some of those who give it a try will see how awesome this experience is, and vow to return here every year. Club Orient -- once it is rebuilt -- will need the next generation of people to fill their rooms someday, and this is where some of them will come from.

Second, is that those of us who frequent the clothing optional beach and partake in this without our suits need to reach out to those who are curious. I realize this is not an easy thing to do, but many times I have talked and encouraged cruise ship visitors laying out with my wife and I at places like Kontiki, Kakao, etc. to give this try. Sometimes they look at me like I'm crazy, but other times I was successful and got them to join me. I'll finish with yet another story from a few years ago. A young woman (35 or 40?) was walking the beach and came up along side me as we were approaching the narrowing by Pedro's. She said "time to turn around, even though that's always been on my bucket list!" So, I stopped and said "what, walking down through the clothing optional section?" She nodded, and replied "just not sure I can do that." I said "C'mon, nothing to it! Let me show you how easy this is."

I could tell she was apprehensive, but did follow me around the rocks and past the purple chairs that Pedro's used to put out. We reached a lone palm tree just prior to the Perch Lite bar, and I showed her what I did when visiting the c/o beach. "Just do it, I told her. No one here cares what you look like, trust me!" With that I removed my suit, bid her farewell and went on with my walk. I'd like to be able to say she 'followed suit' with my example, but she was nervous and I tried to respect her privacy at this moment. I can't say if she ever did get this 'off her bucket list', but at least I made an attempt to someone who was thinking about doing this. I just think encouraging others is something we all should do when those opportunities arise. I know I will when I return this fall!