Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
We don't need to use an old number. We don't bring our smart phone to SXM. Prefer not to get it lost, damaged, etc. We have an old flip phone, but based on what you're saying, even if we get a chip, it won't work?

As I have said, a TelCell chip will work in your old phone (for now), a UTS Chippie will not.

Oh crap on a cracker! I think that I am discovering that my UTS Chippie phone does not work now. Haven't tried to make a call in the past two days, but reading this I decided to check it out and make a call....nothing.
Strange, as I've got the TopUp card...still has $25 on it! And did a $1 addition every 60 days, and also the free "extend your number" thingie a few times online. Checked the balance when we landed *191*, and have loads of ANG. $$. But does not make calls. Argghhh!!!

So Elaine...you say that the Chippie network no longer works? Or that the phone must be at least 3G? (just trying to understand and trouble shoot) My alternatives are 1) get a 3G phone. where on island? or 2) change to TelCell? which gives me a new number, correct? Best suggestion for a TelCell retailer? Is adding time from the States easy?

I saw at Maho Market that they still TopUp Chippie....is that provider still viable?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse. wink

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink