I was going to stay out of this but decided to give it one more try...

Of course wifi calling works if you are connected to wifi, but not if you are travelling on the road. Best to have a phone that works in case of an emergency when travelling from place to place.

As DandM29212 pointed out and as AUCspouse said in my post from long ago this is why you sign up for a use-it-if-you-need-it International plan. If you absolutely do need to make an emergency call in the car somewhere just take it off airplane mode....you will get one charge ($10) and it is good for 24 hours....assuming there is cell coverage where you are. It is a no cost cheap insurance plan that you only pay for IF you need it.

For 99% (or 100%) of your calls there is no charge,,,,no number change...no "International" fees...no chips/sims... Just call....or answer the phone. The person calling you is calling your cell number and it is TOTALLY irrelevant where you are. I am presently in Grand Cayman and have called friends in Massachusetts four times and have received two calls...no charges. You can call anyone IN SXM ..no charge...call home...no charge...call China...no charge.....

I have the emergency backup plan (Verizon Travel Pass) but have only used it once in two years and that was for a call from the car en-route to our France rental to give an arrival time....never had to use it since BUT it is there and it DOES work...and it IS a backup in case wifi is down or unreliable

Done....