Originally Posted by BeachKitten
The picture bdeeley posted is tagged 'Luis"...so that was '95.

Did the same dang boat wash up TWICE?! lol

We stayed at Mary's Boon the Spring after Luis. Mark and Carla Cleveland were in the process of cleaning up the destruction that had happened there the previous Fall. They had sustained a lot of damage and were, in fact, in the process of rebuilding their dining room which had been destroyed but they still managed to serve a wonderful breakfast with tables under an awning. Mark shared a cup of coffee with us one morning during our stay and he and my DH were talking about the reconstruction going on. Mark swore to us, given the foundation and rebar he was putting under it, that building would never again be wiped out as it had been in the previous storm.

I thought I remembered walking that beach and seeing the freighter beached in the sand during that trip. and at the same time, I recall some of the damage to other properties, one of which, in retrospect, I thought to have been Beachside Villas with the pool tilted and twisted on end, but in honesty, I wasn't remotely familiar with BSV at that time. As I recall, on that one fateful walk, the destruction was horrendous. We saw buildings destroyed and brought to the ground along with pools damaged and some turned on end. But the ship, I thought, was still the Sandy.

That said, it's all together possible I have gotten my dates and storms and ships confused. There were several storms back in that time frame and some were almost in back to back years or so it seems, in retrospect.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."