Originally Posted by foreversxm
..........The Boon Beach Bar and Restaurant has really great food and service and a bit cheaper and better than Kaarater beach bar next door............

Forever,

I wish our experience echoed yours. I typically don’t express complaints but ............

We have long loved Mary’s Boon - both the Hotel, the beach there and the restaurant. This trip we were so very disappointed in our one and only dinner there. We’ve stayed there in the past and we generally do several beach days with lunches and at least one or two dinners there every trip because we’ve always enjoyed the spot in every way.

Our waiter was very pleasant (and cute, too.....) and he started off being very attentive but things went down hill in a hurry. We inquired as to how they made their onion soup and were assured it was gratinee with melted cheese and bread on top. When it was served there was almost no cheese and definitely not baked when it was served and it wasn’t as hot as it should have been either, but that was only where the problems began.

It seems they must host a poker night which, had we been made aware of, we would have chosen another night for our dinner. Almost immediately after our soup was served, two gentlemen came in and commandeered the tables immediately across from us and started counting out stacks of poker chips and before we knew it, and before our entrees were served, there were 8 to 10 card players enjoying their game. They were boisterously enjoying their evening, but us? Not so much. It became a bit loud and definitely not the setting we were hoping for.

Our entrees were finally served and DHs steak (ordered med. well....) was served medium raw and my fish was killed. Had the waiter returned in a timely manner to ask how everything was we would have shown him but by the time we were able to get his attention and he finally returned to our table we were done nibbling around the edges of our meal and just wanted to leave.

I know this was certainly never the norm in the past, either as the restaurant directly associated with the Boon or when it was called the Tides, and I hope we just hit one very bad night but I can’t tell you how disappointed we were. Because it has always been so pleasant in our previous trips and because so many have commented about their positive recent experiences, we will probably give it another try next trip but we were terribly disappointed with this dinner. The good news was it was the only negative meal or drinks experience of our entire two week stay.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."