It is amazing how the minority of people have started ruling what the majority does. I have sympathy for those with anxiety, peanut allergies, and any other "disorder" that some psychologist/psychiatrist has placed upon them but I, nor anyone else, should have to be denied the ability to travel comfortably.

These folks need to find alternative measures for travel. I realize that there are some occasions when these people have to fly but when there are other options available, then they need to use them. It is a shame that in the process of accommodating a select few with actual issues, the unscrupulous without issues will use these "loopholes" to their benefit.

So if 1 person on the plane has a peanut allergy does this mean the other 150 or so others can't get a bag of nuts to enjoy with their glass of diet Coke. Or the 1 person that has anxiety about flying and brings a dog/cat as their emotional support which causes another(s) on that plane to suffer because those people have pet allergies. What about those with pet allergies who get on that plane AFTER that emotional support animal departs but, as we all know the animal hair and/or dander is left behind, starts having a reaction to the allergen?

Here's an idea, change the HIIPA laws to allow common carriers to require proof of the disorder and that the animal is certified in that field. If there is an allergen alleged, then allow the common carrier to require that the allergen is a life threatening allergy and require that passenger to carry an antidote such as an epi-pen.

I realize that there aren't many international means of travel other than air travel but I think it would behoove the airlines to only allow these people to board flights that actually depart from US soil or arrive 1st on US soil. If you are one of these people that have these issues and live in an area when you don't have non-stop out of the US, I feel for you but IMHO you should rent a car to drive to the departing airport that services your final international destination and when you arrive back in the US then use that rental car to drive from the arrival airport. Yes this may seem harsh to some but it's truly getting out of hand.

I feel for Pelican because I would hate to have to worry that I'll be 35,000 feet over an ocean when my breathing becomes labored because of someone's anxiety alleviating cat has shed enough hair/dander to cause that allergic reaction. Lord knows airplanes are not set up to handle true medical emergencies and the 30+ minutes it would take to get that aircraft on the ground to meet an EMS crew could mean a very dire result for people like Pelican.

Unfortunately there are those that will abuse the system for their own benefit. Other than true service animals (seeing eye dog, seizure dog, diabetic dog etc). there should be a very strict policy to get any animal on the plane.

Last edited by deputydog1157; 12/12/2018 11:49 AM. Reason: double word

[Linked Image]