Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
So wrong on many respects. Some cruisers are on an all inclusive ship excursion to orient. If priced out of reach others will just throw a towel out and not rent or just walk the beach. Greed will end up biting them in the butt if they out price the chairs. Many other places to go that are more reasonable.

That might be your opinion, but I remember a bottle of Coca-Cola costing a dime, too. Regarding beach chairs, let's consider reality and facts. It wasn't that long ago that $15 was a going rate, and it wasn't long ago that people were writing here that if they had to pay for umbrella/chairs when they were buying drinks and eating there, they wouldn't go there. $20 became the new norm over the past few years, didn't it? If you think $30 is unacceptable or non-competitive, look at the facts at other cruise destinations. Grand Cayman - routinely $26-35 on 7 Mile Beach. St John and St Thomas, $30 average. Turks and Caicos - $30-35 average. Bahamas - $10 per item average. Excursion costs are much higher. For example, "jam them in" bare bones Nassau excursions usually cost $60-100 per person.

I don't believe that after paying for taxi to Orient, drinks, and food, that $30 chair rental cost is going to matter to 95% of the cruiser population compared to the perceived allure of Orient Beach. When the taxi drops you off, and $30 is the going rate at the big five where they get dropped off, I believe cruisers are just gonna pay it. For those few that are on paid excursions from the ship, rental rates are irrelevant, those operators are obviously going to negotiate their own rates down from the "rack rates", won't they?

[Linked Image]