Just use BIG city sensibilities. I think with lowlands at night, a lot has to do with that it is a dark and winding road and it feels too quiet. The only issues I know of that were pre-Irma, were that in Sandy Ground near the bridge, at night, occasionally some thugs would put trash in the road to cause a car to stop to rob. This was years ago. I would personally stay away from Sandy Ground and Marigot in a rented car after 22:00. There are some crack heads and I am not exaggerating. But we’ve never had a problem. To be honest, we’re more concerned being hassled by the Gendarmes, which has happened, checkpoints for documents (resident car, not rental). But there isn’t a need to drive in this specific area at night, so just avoid it. During the day though, it’s a beautiful drive. Common sense goes a long way and I think chances of an assault are extremely low if you use good judgment. Just like with most places in the world. Follow your instincts too! I personally have not felt unsafe in St. Maarten, but I live in Brazil so my radar might be more fine-tuned. I can’t wait to return ! St. Maarten/Martin is my most favorite place in this world!