Originally Posted by AUCspouse
Pat,
Thanks for your helpful response. Like you, I'm not concerned with grammar errors. I also assume that most people who post are well-meaning and helpful. I just have trouble with abbreviations -- especially those that are specific to St. Maarten / St. Martin, and especially abbreviations of the names of commercial establishments. Those are hard to look up in abbreviation lists.

My suggestion is based on the assumption that most people who post here want to be understood, and most people who read the posts want to comprehend the intended message.

AUCspouse, I understand your confusion with some abbreviations. I also respect your feelings, but in all fairness, the three people that mentioned OBBR = Oyster Bay Beach Resort, they were not trying to school you, just answering your question. When a person reads this board they go down the post, when you see a question, such as you posted, they answer it without reading the other post... because sometimes there can be many. Again, with you being new to the board, you don't know this so I can certainly see how this might offend you - but I don't believe it was their attention "to school you". ChiTownHarry and GaKye are both long time owners at Oyster Bay Beach Resort and valuable contributors to the board. I also own at Oyster Bay Beach Resort, and always refer to it as OBBR - because after 21 years that is just it's name to me..."OBBR". The resort uses it on their own website, in written communication.... it just becomes second nature for the owners. This happens with many abbreviations… SXM just replaces St Maarten, in emails/text and verbal communication. Just like people say “USA" instead of United States of American. Some people's favorite drink is a Gin and Tonic, but they always call it a G&T... or a Seven-Up and Segram's Seven is always ordered as "7&7".

Again, I understand your confusion and frustration - and really respect your feelings.... That's why I wrote this long response, I didn't want you to feel people were dising on you or being rude.... the majority (90%) of the people on this board love St Maarten, have a great deal of knowledge about it and enjoy sharing their knowledge and passion with other.

Please keep giving the board a

Last edited by mdldgl; 01/30/2019 12:24 AM.