Many of the beaches that appear calm with minimal wave action can be deceiving. One thing I noticed on Mullet when swimming there recently was now-and-then a rouge wave would roll-in that was stronger and hit with more force than the reoccurring waves that day. By no means a tidal wave, but just a stronger wave that can knock someone off their feet if they're not prepared. I tried to see if there was a pattern to this, but couldn't detect one. With Le Gallion I'm really shocked because that beach is so calm and safe for children. One other thing that I sometimes notice with families visiting the beaches is that parents can become distracted and momentarily lose touch with their little ones in the water. I hope this isn't what happened here this past weekend. When my three boys were young my wife and/or I never took our eyes off them in the water whether on vacation or at our local beaches. This news is so tragic, but I suppose with the large numbers of visitors coming back to SXM things like this will unfortunately happen on beaches without lifeguards.