If you charter a boat specifically because of a watermaker, be sure that it is working before leaving base. We chartered Salt Crush from BVIYC, because it has a watermaker. I. The boat briefing, the briefer, showed us how it was supposed to operate, but couldn’t get it to make water! He tried several times, and then said the water at the base was not clean enough for the maker to work. Well, we all know that water at bases does tend to be dirtier, so we accepted his explanation. He assured us it work fine at the anchorages we would be visiting. At first stop at the new balls in Benures Bay, I turned on the watermaker. It failed again to produce. Called base about the issue, and at first, they refused to even make a service call, saying that watermakers are not covered! I then mentioned that the ice maker wasn’t working either. They finally agreed to meet us if we moved to the Bight, since they had a service call later that day.
So we moved to the Bight and waited. The service crew finally arrived with the same guy who told us all would’ve okay once we left base. He basically did the same things he did before but just managed to waste about 10 gallons of our now precious water. He then made the same excuses about water quality. He also didn’t fix the ice maker. So it was back to docking for water.