I live in Western Maine, and have family in the general Acadia Region.

I'll offer up the suggestion that you ditch the Kancamagus, drive from Littleton to Twin Mountain NH, NOT go south to Lincoln, and then go north on 3-115 to US 2 and continue on into Maine headed for Acadia. Make this the northern part of the loop, when you leave Acadia, head south on the coastal route through Bucksport, Belfast, Northport and on into Camden. THEN decide with your time remaining where else to stop on the coast of Maine while you are headed south to Portland, Old Orchard, York, Ogunquit and then back to Boston.

The Kanc will take you to the Conways, and if you plan to stop in FREEPORT ( where LL Bean is --its not Yarmouth) there is no sense in replicating a shopping spree with the same outlet stores twice, not to mention the attendant traffic. That northern Route from Twin Mountain is the western side of the Northern Presidential Mtns of the White Mountain National Forest, beautiful and just as scenic as the Kanc, IMHO.

I have no idea from your OP how long you have for this trip, but if you are at all time limited or on an airline schedule, you'll save the better part of a day by doing a straight forward loop and catching the South coast of Maine on the far end rather than in the middle.

Breeze