We were there just this past May. We've never been to SXM, so can't really compare it to Club Orient. But we found the overall quality of Hidden Beach to be excellent. It's really a place to go to pamper yourself. Expensive, but worth the money. The rooms are top notch. We had a swim up, and are glad we paid extra for it.

From other reviews, I've read the pool is heated in the winter, but sparingly in the spring. There are two large outdoor hot tubs. We found the food to be very good. There are lots of options, particularly when you figure you have access to all the restaurants at the sister resort next door. And the cooks, we found out, will make you just about anything, even if it's not on the menu. My favorite was to order a big plate of Yucatec-style "Huevos Motulenos" for breakfast, which the staff would then bring to me on my beach bed, with coffee. It's a nice way to wake up, that's frighteningly easy to get used to.

Lots of potential activities in the area (e.g.- Tulum, cenote trips, nude catamaran cruise), and a lot of potential to do absolutely nothing, and have Esmerelda bring you drinks on the beach. And speaking of Esmerelda- the staff is the real gem of Hidden Beach. They'll learn your name (and drink preferences) the first day, and then absolutely bend over backwards to make sure you stay happy and well fed.

The beach is probably about 300 meters long- it is coarse, corally sand- it's true you can't swim in the ocean right in front of the resort (it's about knee deep and rocky), but there are beautiful beach palapas to lay in and feel the "devastating" effects of sand gravity setting in. If you need to swim in the ocean, or take LONG walks down the beach, you can go next door.

We would do beach in the morning, and then pool in the afternoon (decisions, decisions). I actually found the width of the "arms" of the pool to be great for doing laps in in the mornings (they're wider than a typical pool lap lane). It's great to walk nude out your door for 5 steps, jump in the pool, and swim. The swim up pool bar is WONDERFUL, and is the center of afternoon social activity. There are about 3 very lively water volleyball games in the afternoon. Excellent drinks, excellent bar service. Snacks anytime- it's all included.

Finally, there is a VERY NICE spa a short walk outside the resort, that opens up to au naturel use on Sundays at 5.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by ndendei; 08/08/2013 08:22 PM.