SXM Day 9 – October 12, 2020

After breakfast in the villa, we took a short drive to Simpson Bay for a walk over the causeway. Weather wise it’s another fine morning, and the views are incredible from the causeway. We continued on to the Dutch / French border before turning back. It’s definitely more scenic and safer, traffic wise, than walking through the neighborhood. People we encounter on our walks always offer a friendly good morning and a man, traveling in his inflatable boat under the causeway, gave us an enthusiastic wave and greeting. They don’t call this the Friendly Island for nothing!

We returned home, chilling by the pool. Each morning I walk the small beach in the back of the villa, searching for treasure. My treasure consists mostly of sea glass and small pieces of tumbled ceramic tile. I haven’t found too much this trip, but my collection is slowly growing each day.

Around 11:30 it was time to drive to Mary’s Boon for lunch. We ordered a bottle of Rose and sat at a picnic table along the ocean, looking out to the majestic island of Saba. Bill and Elaine met us there a short while later. It’s a holiday today, so there were quite a few guests on the beach. Lunch consisted of a Grilled Chicken sandwich for Marc, Mahi sandwiches for Jo and Bill, and a bacon cheeseburger for Elaine. All served with French fries and all delicious. It was getting quite hot outside, so we moved inside where the breeze was quite pleasant. Much better! The hours flew by so quickly. We left around 4 and Bill and Elaine stayed for a swim in Simpson Bay. I wish I could’ve joined them, but my swimming skills are very rusty (pretty much non-existent).

We hung around the villa for a while and since it’s Monday, with a lot of restaurants closed, tried to think of a place to dine for dinner. We looked up Mark’s Place online and the website stated that it was open. The drive other the hill was easy, taking only about 15 minutes. The restaurant was indeed open, and we were the only two people in the dining room! Anyone who has dined there knows that this place is always packed with locals – even in slow season. Their take-out business, however, was brisk. Marc always orders the lasagna, but I like to try different menu items. Tonight I ordered the Goat Curry, which was excellent! The dish had a nice spice to it and was served with rice & peas, a small salad, a small wedge of macaroni and cheese and frozen vegetables. Needless to say, I couldn’t finish it all and the leftovers will be enjoyed at breakfast tomorrow. Marc’s lasagna was served with a salad. No leftovers for him.

It was another wonderful day in paradise. Our vacation time, unfortunately, is running out. Two more full days to enjoy before the flight out on Thursday.

Jo-

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.