So it looks like we are going to take the plunge and travel to the BVI for 2 weeks in January. The Facebook posts are bringing back too many childhood memories of non-crowded anchorages for me to ignore!

Although we have been traveling to the BVI for years and I grew up in the Caribbean, I have some COVID specific questions for those of you who have already gone...

1. Wifi: We typically unplug when on vacation but with the quarantine and wanting to extend our stay, my husband will need to do some work from the boat. He works for the government so will need to be able to get a VPN connection and attend Microsoft Teams meetings. So my questions in regards to wifi...

Does the Wifi that comes with the boat work at all the quarantine anchorages and is it strong enough for a VPN connection? If it doesn't work at all anchorages, which are best?

If the Wifi isn't strong enough does anyone have experience with an alternative Wifi source?

2. Flying: We are booked through San Juan which we have done a ton of times and typically if we have checked bags we are required to grab our bags upon landing and go out of the secure area, recheck the bags and then go back through security. We will not have a negative COVID test within 72 hours but I have heard that you only need that if you leave the airport. Questions with this...

Has anyone gone through San Juan, flying on Inter Caribbean (I know their reputation but it was the only flight we could get that allowed us not to have to overnight in San Juan) and had checked bags? What was your experience? Did they give you a hard time about the COVID test if you had to exit security and then go back through security?

3. Food Delivery: I have heard of people getting take out food delivered to the boat but then read somewhere that they are no longer allowing this. Any updates about take out food?

4. Quarantine Anchorages: What are your experiences/recommendations with these? Moorings sent us an owners' update that said that you are allowed to go ashore at the quarantine anchorages if they are uninhabited but I have read multiple times that this is not true. Anyone have experience with this? Seems weird that they would let you go ashore but just wanted to see what others' experiences were.

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I will have a ton more questions as it gets closer.

Sue Dressler
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40
Martinique

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]