Pat,

Aloha nui loa,

Thank you. Would like to talk story with you all bit, and share some Kauai memories, that you kindled in your wonderful trip report.

We actually visited Kauai 13 different two week vacations and then lived on island for 10 years full time. We melded in, and were quite active, hiking, snorkeling, exploring, kayaking, and eventually were Sierra Club HIke Leaders, and also joined in
and volunteered for beach and river clean ups. Lots of wonderful friends gleaned, and good news, we are headed back to Kauai for a 30 day visit in September 2021. We miss the Garden Island and the people so very much..

Talking story:

Many years ago, concerning one of the movies you mentioned that I saw on the mainland, long before Kauai became our home. That movie was Donovans Reef, with John Wayne. Much of the film was in a Bar ,, that was called Donovans Reef. in the movie. John Wayne's character was John Donovan. Love that extremely feel good movie...to this very day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a true story.

Back in yonder years in Orange County, Calif, We went to see Donovans Reef. In the middle of the film, I stood up in the theatre pointed at the big screen and actually yelled, ONE DAY I AM GOING TO DRINK IN THAT BAR !. Of course at the time I had no idea where it was located. But we were quite active sailors world wide ...so who knows ?.

On Kauai, we lived several years across the road from the Lihue Marriot ( Kalapaki Beach ) near the Cruise Ship Port at Nawiliwili. We had only been on island a short time, and met a local wahine who asked us if we had been to the TAVERN.

Nope, But she said we should give it a try.

OK, the following day, we walk across the road toward Kalapaki Beach, We find this old Tavern, Which was now the NAWILIWILI TAVERN, with a worn framed printed notice on the outside wall that this was the Bar in Donovans Reef.
In we went, and discovered it was true. the Tavern became a bit of hang for us . As did several of the bars/restaurants next door at Anchor Cove, the Harbor Mall across the road, Dukes, and the small outside TIKI bar at the Lihue Marriot ( Kalalpaki beach).

End of this one story :

From standing up in that movie theatre saying SOME DAY I AM GOING TO DRINK IN THAT BAR......WE WOUND UP LIVING ACROSS THE ROAD FROM IT IN BANYAN HARBOR.

Just FYI, Anyone thinking of vacationing or even moving to to Kauai, and have any questions, we would very much enjoy sharing our knowledge to help if we can..
We are now back on the mainland, living in Dana Point, Ca. Small beach community between L.A. and San Diego.

Me ke aloha pumehana

Denny and Erica